electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Yamaha K-500 cassette deck
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Service manuals & datasheets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mjl1297

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 12:30 am    Post subject: Yamaha K-500 cassette deck Reply with quote

I have a Yamaha K-500 cassette deck that has served me faithfully since I was in my early twenties. It is still on active duty in my component system although it doesn't see nearly the use that it once did of course. Indeed I would venture to say my Technics turntable gets more "exercise" than it does.

Anyway it has always functioned flawlessly but the other day I popped one of the few cassettes I still have in it and the motor made a rather disconcerting grinding noise and shut off. There was no mechanical obstruction that I could see so I removed the tape and operated it with the cassette removed. In forward and reverse modes it will only run for a few seconds and then it shuts off. Pressing play it still makes makes the grinding noise and the heads do not engage the tape as far as I can tell.

Anyone have an idea what is going on here? I have found a service manual for it online but I'm hesitant to purchase it as I have concerns about the ready availability of replacement parts which I will doubtless need for it as I'm certain that one of the servomotors is involved here.

Thanks in advance!
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Belts?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would belts cause behaviour like that? I was thinking that the spindles wouldn't even rotate in that case.
mjl1297

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry jts1957 but that is my response above. I thought the forum had looged me in when I posted.
jts1957

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a marker and put a dot or line on any guide, pulley, flywheel, idler, etc. that the belt rides on. Then try a mode.
The motor should have a pulley which turns a belt which then moves and turns the next thing in its "path," etc.

For example, if a unit has a motor, a belt and a flywheel ... if the motor pulley spins, but the flywheel does not, either the belt is bad or the flywheel is frozen and can't turn.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I'll get it out and open it up tomorrow and do just that. I'll post with an update later.
mjl1297

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally got around to this. No belts that I can see but they must be there. This machine will run for a bit and then shut off regardless of whether there is a tape inserted or not. Need a service manual I think but no luck there.
mjl1297

PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found a service manual to order--give that a try.
mjl1297

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely a belt issue as they had all deteriorated into so much goo--nearly impossible to remove. Bought the service manual and it tells me everything but how to replace the belts! Shocked
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scrape away the majority of "goo" with a small pocket screwdriver. A Q-tip dipped in rubbing alcohol will remove remainder (allow to evaporate - don't allow on good belts).
Once you've completed that, you should have a fairly good idea of how the belts were routed, and probably, what must be disassembled to allow replacement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Service manuals & datasheets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия