electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Lamp switch malfunction.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guacamolay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:22 pm    Post subject: Lamp switch malfunction. Reply with quote

Hi,
This is probably a really basic question next to some of the others in this forum.
Yesterday my lamp blew. I replaced the bulb but that didn't help, so I figured it must be the fuse. Now I've only been living independently for a year so I don't have much experience with home electronic repair skills etc., but anyway, the point is I put a 13amp fuse in a 3amp socket: this blew the new bulb and tripped the mains switch in the basement..
I replaced the bulb again and pinched a 3amp fuse from another socket. The lamp is now alit but I can't turn it off at it's switch. I have to turn it off at the mains.
How would you recommend I go about fixing this?
vtech

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No offense but it definitely sounds like you need to ask a professional or someone who knows something about electricity. Trying to save money is not worth causing more damage, getting electrocuted or even worse start a fire!
Wink
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Starting a fire is worse than getting electrocuted?? Shocked

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Guacamolay

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, but it would be very difficult to electrocute myself if the thing I'm working on isn't plugged in. Equally, if a fire started I'm right there to put it out.
Vtech: to ask someone who "knows something about electricity" is why I am on this forum.
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

May be a bad switch.
Unplug the lamp.

With a ohm meter or continuity tester, measure across the Lamp's mains plug (NOT wall outlet Smile ) while operating the lamp's switch. You should see "infinity" when switch is open and "continuity" (just bulb's filament resistance) when switch is closed.
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the model?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия