electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Will an old analog ariel work with digital?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fossy 97

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:15 am    Post subject: Will an old analog ariel work with digital? Reply with quote

Hi
I have an old analog ariel bolted to the side of my house and I was thinking of taking it down Idea but then I thought could that I could use it for digital.Does anyone know if it will work?
I live in a poor signal area and my transmitter is belmont
Thanks in advance

chris
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) They are (again) reducing the "spectrum" that broadcast television uses (remember a few decades ago losing channels 70 thru 83?).
2) They are changing the formatting of the signal that is broadcast over the reduced spectrum (from Analog to Digital).

If your old aerial was capable of receiving the full spectrum of stations (channels 2 - 69) and it's still in good physical and electrical shape - YES.

If it's more than a few years old, outdoors (exposed to weather), ONLY VHF (or UHF), or damaged, most likely you won't receive ALL the stations available.

You will, of course, have to get Digital tuner equipped sets or get the adaptor boxes to convert digital to analog and continue to use your current ones.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks jts, my ariel is in good condition but has been outside for more than ten years .I shall try it with a digibox and see how many channels I can get and report back as soon as possible

thanks
chris Very Happy
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember that the stations that your digital box currently has already found may be changing after the June changeover - rescan for stations when changeover occurs.
Fossy 97

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: RE:will an old analog ariel work with digital? Reply with quote

Hi again I have tried the ariel with my digibox.First time without a booster ,nothing.Retuned my box and tried again and still nothing.I then fitted a booster (ariel into booster cable out of booster into digibox)And retuned.This time I could get BBC1,BBC2 ,ITV1,Channel4(a very clicky picture though),Channel5 and Dave everything else was just 'no signal'.I then replaced the analog cable to digital cable (cut off the analog cable where I could reach because I have no big ladders and fitted an plug to the analog connecting to the digital)and then did another retune.This time I could get all the channels I could get before and a few music channels(Magic,heat radio 2&3)an BBC 3&4. Wink So it is possible to get some of the channels throught an analog ariel.I think I might buy a better bosster thought because the one I have is on its last legs.

report back once with a better booster to see if that makes any difference
chris Very Happy
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody notice that this guy Fossy is in the UK? I don't think the US changeover is going to affect him.

Just my .02

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the whole world was changing to digital (one type of system or another)? Most are in transition. Only a few countries have finished.
Fossy 97

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They are changing to digital in the uk, but not in my area until 2011.So I have a bit to wait Smile
Fossy 97

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a new booster and had another go but still the same channels.I guess i shall have to buy a new digital one and see if that makes any difference Exclamation
Thanks
Chris Very Happy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия