electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
DIfficult to find part for a Dream Machine
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 3:17 pm    Post subject: DIfficult to find part for a Dream Machine Reply with quote

I am trying to find a replacement face for my son's Sony Dream Machine model # icf-cd843v. I did email Sony but I do not have great hopes for that. Parts Store does not show it, either. A google search did not come up with much. Any other sources that you would recommend?

Thanks, Lar
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have a part number?
I know for a short period you can obtain items like the backup battery compartment cover, but hard to do a search for a part by "face"/model number.
Even for a $200 Cd/Clock radio.
Larbo

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless I can find a parts breakdown, how could I possibly get the part number?
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And therein lies one of the services biggest problems. Exclamation
vtech

PostPosted: Sat Jul 11, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having worked with Sony's products, first of all, don't be surprised if the pricing may be outrages as it has been for some time.--even if it's available since that's a 2004 model.
Here's one way to fish for information if&when you DO have a similar-model exploded view
In looking at a similar walkman as a reference(ICF-CD832), I am pretty certain that the "face" was never available as a separate part and it is actually part of the cabinet.(pretty much standard practice for Sony and many others for their small stuff) Part number sequence pattern should be X-xxxx-xxx-x
In trying a place like parts store.com, you can do a search on your model number(ICF-CD843V) and sort by description(from a-z) and look for cabinet which gives you X-3384-684-1 for the front cabinet.
Now you should be able to call Sony direct and verify and also double check for any color variety (if applicable).

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey vtech, good to hear from you!!!

What on earth does "not supplied" mean? I would think that face would be one of the more sought after parts being in the most vunerable position of all, dead in front! That is like having a new front bumper unavailable. Am I interpreting this right??
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vtech wrote:
In trying a place like parts store.com, you can do a search on your model number(ICF-CD843V) and sort by description(from a-z) and look for cabinet which gives you X-3384-684-1 for the front cabinet.

vtech is using a SIMILAR models exploded view for a reference. Wink Is the "face" you need included inside the dashed line? If so you need:

http://www.partstore.com/Part/Sony/Sony/ICFCD843V/Sony/Sony/X33846841/New.aspx
jts1957

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I've gotta get my eyes checked.
Larbo's right, there is a line connected to that face piece leading to "not supplied."

But that's for the "reference" model, You'ld have to see the exploded view for the your correct model to see if it shows it as "not supplied."
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned, based on previous experience with Sony, the part that you need (the face) is usually part of the cabinet and more likely not available as a separate piece(just like the reference unit I used as an example). Seen it many times & is not unusual for small products of many brands including Sony. Absence of the listing under ICFCD843V only reconfirms it.
You will notice that although it can be de-attached, it won't be supplied by itself.

If there was not any reference to go by, I would not even attempt to guess.
Larbo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 12, 2009 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, thanks a lot. That was really helpful.

Even at that price for the front assembly ($54+), it looks like I would have to disassemble the entire Dream Machine. Sounds a bit daunting. Have you taken one similar to this apart before?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия