electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
wireless router

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:48 pm    Post subject: wireless router Reply with quote

Lets see if you can help me for once! Here's the senero. I have a modem that connects to a vonage phone interface. The interface feeds the computer. The computer uses active speed 7.0.9 as a booster. You have to log in to active speed to access the internet. I take the connection out of the vonage box, put it into the wireless router, out of the router back to the vonage. When doing this the router show conicitivity, the vonage shows the ip was reconnected, but I can't get the internet on the computer? Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you did not configure complete your wireless router. Please recheck the configuration again.
minnie

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aliensong wrote:
yes, check your wireless router carefully.

Mod note;
>>No need for repeating words with advertisement<<

I've installed tons of wireless routers. "Check your wireless router carefully?" For what? This forum is for people looking for solutions not one post wonders who really have nothing to contribute except their two minutes of fame.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let see now. As far as i can figure it out, the "vonage box" is a VoIP device, probably with some included router functionality.

Do you know if the vonage box acts as a DHCP server (i.e. supplies your computer with an IP address)? In that case, you must make sure that your wireless router's WAN interface is configured to borrow an IP from a DHCP server, not to work with a fixed IP.

Your wireless router will also surely work as a DHCP server and you should make sure that it does not use IP addresses on its internal (LAN) side that are within the same subnet as the IP adresses generated by the vonage box.
For instance, let say that the LAN side of the vonage box has 192.168.0.1 and submits adresses in the same subnet (i.e. 192.168.0.2 - 192.168.0.32).
Then, the WAN side of your new router will get one of those IP addresses and you must make sure that the router's LAN side has another subnet. For instance, you could configure its own IP to 192.168.1.1 and submit adresses in a range of for instance 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.32.

When i setup small networks, i prefer to set the last byte of the DHCP server's address to either 1 or 254 (255 is reserved for special uses), and the pool of IP addresses to submit to clients is set from for instance .10 and up to as many as needed plus some extra (to .30, .60 or something).
Then, any strange units that must have fixed IP can be located from .2 to .10 . Network printers use to get IPs from .100 to .127 .

In some cases, where the network already has a existing router and firewall and a wireless router is to be added, one possibility is to switch off its DHCP functionality, set its own IP to a free address within the subnet in use, and connect one of its LAN ports to the existing router's LAN side. Then, the wireless router will be used just as a dumb switch and wireless access point.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I left it open because get rid of Vonage, who's router looks like an answering machine, get rid of your problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия