electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
No Display on Sony Tuner

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lorac999

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2005 1:01 pm    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

Seem to have a problem with the display on my Sony MHC-EX5 system. The tuner still works but can't see display so can't tune in any new stations. Is this an easy repair and worth doing. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2005 10:06 pm    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

What type of display module is it? As some hi-fi have a bulb behind it.
Lorac999

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 6:18 pm    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

The front of the tuner says Superior Multi Controlled Tuner RDS EON
I hope that's what you mean. I did try to open it and all I found were two chip boards so I put it back together again.
Thanks for any help.
Carol

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 8:51 pm    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

Sorry. LCD (liquid crystal display) or LED (light emitting diode) types i.e.
Do the display characters black on a grey background (like a digital watch)or bright coloured characters that light up?
If LCD their may be a small soldered in bulb lighting the background to see the characters but if in doubt best to contact a dealer as this would require confirmation and if correct then the correct one would have to be obtained so I would contact a Sony dealer as they would have required info and part saving time and money. A non Sony dealer may have to purchase the service info as well and this may be passed on to you.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2005 9:18 pm    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

Update.
I did a little digging and found a cure for this that seems to be a common problem with this model requiring two capacitors C161 and C162 both are 100uf, 63V.
It is LCD type and has bulbs so although this is common it still may be a bulb.
Lorac999

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:21 am    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

Thanks for the help and your time in seaching for an answer. Does this mean I could repair it or if I go to a service place they would know how to do it with your knowledge ie "requiring two capacitors C161 and C162 both are 100uf, 63V.
It is LCD type and has bulbs so although this is common it still may be a bulb"
Again would this be classed as a big job?
Thanks
Carol
sparky

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 5:58 am    Post subject: No Display on Sony Tuner Reply with quote

If this is all that is wrong then it wouldn't be a big job.
Capacitors are general purpose cheap spares that any service department or electronics outlet would stock but if a bulb is required this may be more difficult.
Electrolytic Capacitors are polarised devices with two legs that must be fitted the correct way round and be handy with a soldering iron.
If you dont't feel confident then it would be best to take it to a dealer.

Best Regards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия