electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Goodmans TV Screen Black but have sound
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
karen

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Goodmans TV Screen Black but have sound Reply with quote

hi there. I have a problem with my Goodmans Tv. It is just approx three yrs old. The sound is fine and all DVD connections/equipment fine, but the screen keeps going black. If I touch the whole tv and slightly move it, it usually returns, buts blacks out again and sometimes won't return.Sound does continue. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Your help appreciated.
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 25, 2009 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: Goodmans TV Screen Black but have sound Reply with quote

karen wrote:
hi there. I have a problem with my Goodmans Tv. It is just approx three yrs old. The sound is fine and all DVD connections/equipment fine, but the screen keeps going black. If I touch the whole tv and slightly move it, it usually returns, buts blacks out again and sometimes won't return.Sound does continue. Does anyone know what the problem might be?
Your help appreciated.

Karen, I'm assuming there is no warranty left and you are on your own. You did NOT mention the model # and you need to say what it is.

If it is a LCD, the likely suspects (in this order) are:
- Inverter
- Power Supply
- Backlight
- Bad connection

Are you qualified to go inside the TV without causing great bodily harm?
If not, you will need to find a repair shop.

Gerald Smile
karen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:01 pm    Post subject: Goodmans Tv Black but has sound Reply with quote

Hi Gerald. Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply.
I am not qualified in any way with electrics, but I have managed to survive whilst dabbling so far !!! Laughing

I checked the power supply and all connections and used on another TV and all OK so assume must be a fault with TV itself.

As not able to deal with further technical items you mentioned I have now booked a TV repairer and hope that it can be fixed.

Thanks again.

Karen
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:58 am    Post subject: Re: Goodmans Tv Black but has sound Reply with quote

karen wrote:
Hi Gerald. Thankyou very much for taking the time to reply.
I am not qualified in any way with electrics, but I have managed to survive whilst dabbling so far !!! Laughing

I checked the power supply and all connections and used on another TV and all OK so assume must be a fault with TV itself.

As not able to deal with further technical items you mentioned I have now booked a TV repairer and hope that it can be fixed.

Thanks again.

Karen

Ultimately, booking (unusual term for us USA types) a TV repairer will be your best plan if you are not comfortable with getting inside the TV. But you should not feel totally powerless in this situation. With just a minimal amount of online research, you should be able to at least be prepared to discuss your options with the repairer and have some idea of the cost involved. You began well by posting to this site, but by not listing your model number the folks here can't provide a full measure of assistance to you. Also, a few searches on your model number along with some other search parameters could lead to some useful info. As an example, I just googled "goodmans TV parts". The following website came up:

http://flattvparts.co.uk/index.php?main_page=index&manufacturers_id=10&zenid=0d24a0e70d605c50e91c05d08ad51693

Armed with your model number, it may be possible to see what the cost would be of the 3 major components previously mentioned. If a repairman repairs your TV at the assembly level rather than the component level, the cost could very well be justified since the labor cost would likely be minimized.
Good luck. Maybe you could post back on how you made out. Might help someone else!

Gerald Smile
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Karen, in my last paragraph above, I referred to "3 major components". You may find that confusing; I should have described them as "3 major assemblies". Sorry.

Gerald
karen

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Goodmans TV Screen black but has sound Reply with quote

Thank you Gerald.
I did understand components better than assemblies actually, so just as well you worded it as such.
To yourself and anyone else who is interested in the sad saga of my TV, the repairers say it is the power supply and have ordered the relevant components to put it right (must say they did this without asking!) Said will be under £50, but once powered up may still not work as damage may have been caused which is so far not evident!!!
ie won't be able to tell until power problem corrected. If still a problem they said it will be a write off.
I was hoping not as can not really afford a new TV especially just before Christmas. Sad
Never mind I will await their call (by next Tuesday) and see what happens.
Thank you for your interest.
Karen
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen. Looks like you are on a path to getting things right. If the £50 is for parts and labor, that doesn't sound too bad. The cost to install the components in the PS assemby would in that case approach the cost of a whole new PS assembly. But replacing the PS would have a labor charge, so I think the way they chose to go was the best way. Most likely the PS repair will be all that is required. If not, maybe you will have to give yourself a new TV for Christmas! Rolling Eyes Good Luck.

Gerald
karen

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2009 9:54 pm    Post subject: Goodmans TV black screen but has sound Reply with quote

Sad Sadly the news is that even with the new power supply my TV screen does not work.Apparently the screen has a dent in the bottom left hand corner and a new panel is reqd which I am advised will cost approx £400 and is very hard to find. My Tv is no more! I will have to collect it and search for another.
(Gerald I did check the site you kindly provided on your link, but the only panel there was not a Goodmans and the price seemed about the same as I was quoted - very helpful though - thank you.). Have been searching Ebay for a cheapish replacement,
Question - what is the difference between CRT tv and any other kind?
And, should I get one of these or would you advise not?
Thanking you if you are able to help.
I am now going to settle down in front of my 14'' borrowed TV and hope it is not ''Who wants to be a Millionaire'' as I can't read the questions Laughing Karen
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Karen, sorry to hear the bad news. To me the story of a "dented" panel does not ring right. There are folks on this forum who may be able to provide some insight into that, but a black screen means the backlight is not getting fired and a panel problem would not appear to me to be the cause.

Regarding the CRT vs. something else, if it were me, I'd go with another LCD and get an extended warranty. CRT's are fast becoming obsolete. It is yet to be proven whether LCD's or Plasma's will ever have the longevity of the CRT's, but sticking with the old technology is not real appealing, especially after owning a LCD! On the positive side, the LCD prices during this Christmas season promise to be the best seen so far. You will need to do a little research to try and find the most recommended brand. Good luck!

Gerald Smile
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OldIBMer wrote:
Hi Karen, sorry to hear the bad news. To me the story of a "dented" panel does not ring right. There are folks on this forum who may be able to provide some insight into that, but a black screen means the backlight is not getting fired and a panel problem would not appear to me to be the cause.

Anybody have an idea about this "dented" panel causing a black screen? Question

Gerald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия