electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Yamaha RX-V1800 common fault uncommon fix

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Drdave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 2:06 pm    Post subject: Yamaha RX-V1800 common fault uncommon fix Reply with quote

We had an RX-V1800 come in with the typical problem "will not stay on".

After placing the unit in to diagnostic mode we found that it had a PS-1 protect.Checking all voltages,everything checked ok. After many hours of swapping Pcb's we found the FL#6 rs232 interface pcb was the problem.New pcb, problem solved.
When everything checks ok don't overlook this board it almost had us fooled.We hope someone can benefit from our journey.
vtech

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thnx for the info Doc.
Perhaps someone was trying to hook it up to a computer?
Used to see similar issues with anything with RS232, HDMI etc connection regardless of the brand. Although If I remember correctly, the RS232 with Yamaha was mainly aimed for software upgrades?
Almost always, it is the encoder &/or the interface IC on the board that gets zapped and loads the supply line.
Drdave

PostPosted: Fri Aug 21, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: RX-V1800 Uncommon Fix Reply with quote

You are right, the only purpose is for doing the software upgrades.
I'm sure the customer will never tell us if he was playing with RS232.
We did let Allen at Yamaha know about this fault so he can pass it on to others who run into this fault and think it's a bad micro, to first unplug the FL#6(RS232) pcb and see if it removes the fault.
[email protected]

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: yamaha RX-V1800 Reply with quote

I just had my RX-V1800's dsp assembly changed as what the yamaha technician ordered after it had problems of staying in the on position. My problem now is when i tried to set it up particularly using the basic menu, i couldnt go through the manual set-up as it stays in the basic menu stage, the technician must have pressed some buttons when the dsp assembly replacement was done. All i wanna know now is how to revert it back to factory settings so i can set it up again as i just purchased new set of speakers supposedly for a 5.1 set-up. I hope you can help me on this, thanks so much in advance.
vtech

PostPosted: Sun Mar 28, 2010 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: yamaha RX-V1800 Reply with quote

[email protected] wrote:
I just had my RX-V1800's dsp assembly changed as what the yamaha technician ordered after it had problems of staying in the on position. My problem now is when i tried to set it up particularly using the basic menu, i couldnt go through the manual set-up as it stays in the basic menu stage, the technician must have pressed some buttons when the dsp assembly replacement was done. All i wanna know now is how to revert it back to factory settings so i can set it up again as i just purchased new set of speakers supposedly for a 5.1 set-up. I hope you can help me on this, thanks so much in advance.

If you have the Owners manual, look at page 180 for reset procedure;

irobot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:41 am    Post subject: Yamaha RS-232 Interface Reply with quote

Hi All

Yamaha has a little known feature known as "Receiver Manager Software".
It's a simple Windows PC program that allows you to control the receiver thru the RS-232 interface (much like the IR remote)

It's designed more for a receiver that's installed in a commercial environment where centralized control is desired and easy recall of setup parameters.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия