electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Computer shuts down abnormally!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maverick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

I have a custom built pc that I've basically built myself. It was running smoothly until recently it started shutting down by itself, even if i'm in the midst of something. I then get a message saying that my pc has recovered by a serious error caused by a device driver and I'm asked to remove that driver to solve the problem. The issue with that is I have lots of drivers installed and I can't pinpoint exactly after which driver installation my pc started freaking out! Any suggestions? I have an amd athlon 64 3000+ 2.0 GHz processor and 512MB memory installed on a 40Gig HD and running WinXP professional w/ SP2.

Also I use dial up to connect to the net and my phone line is constantly connected to my pc. Everytime the phone rings however, my pc turns on automatically! What could be causing this and how can I correct?

I also have a DELL pc that didn't come with a floppy disk drive installed. I purchased a drive and installed it but it doesn't show up in MY COMPUTER. Do I have to reinstall windows to get it to show or what can I do? Much thanks.
sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:04 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

Unfortunately this site seems to lack computer experts going by the amount of unanswered queries and I like most on this site not an expert in this field. If it was me I would firstly go to Microsoft updates and see if hardware optional driver updates are shown and if so note but don't install.
I would then go to the manufacturer website of the device and download and install from them instead as I remember a time Microsoft updates chose a pci driver instead of an agp one and caused problems until it was uninstalled and obtained the correct one.
Another thing you could try is disconnect and uninstall all non essential devices including pci cards. If it works alright then reinstall with updated drivers from manufacturers website.
If the computer still causes problems with all these non essential ones uninstalled then what is left?
Video, Modem and maybe sound.
As the computer turns on when the phone rings suggests it may be the modem or printer software as it is behaving as though it is in Fax machine mode especially if it is left in standbye mode rather than turned off.
Standbye mode would not be recommended incase some programme decided it wanted an internet connection and worse still spyware could connect you to a premium rate phone number.

If any computer experts are reading this and think I am talking crap then please correct me (I would certainly not be offended) and join this group as we need people like you here.
sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

Sorry forgot. Try system restore first if you haven't done this already.
sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:20 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

Me AGAIN.
You should not need to reinstall windows to install a floppy disk drive.
I think it needs to be set-up in the Bios but ensure it is connected to the right socket on the motherboard.
Go to this link as it explains all you need or alternatively just type "how to install a floppy disk drive" and search. You will see many different explanations including pictures- one thing the Internet is good for and that is finding information.
sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

http://www.auldfart.co.uk/howto/flop.html
MacGyver

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, U should try to your Computer Hardware (Pins, Connctors of Adapters) and Insulate the Screws on the Motherboad to Avoid grounding, if still the problem persist, try to reprogram your computer, if anyone of this didn't solve your problem i would suggest you should bring it back from where you bought it
maverick

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

sparky wrote:
http://www.auldfart.co.uk/howto/flop.html

Thanks for the link sparky and thanks to all who replied. I will try the suggestions.
sparky

PostPosted: Fri Jan 20, 2006 8:33 pm    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

Just had another thought.
If you right click on "my computer" followed by properties and then Hardware and then Device Manager you may see a yellow question mark against the device causing the driver problem.
maverick

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to you sparky I was able to get that floppy drive installed rather easily.

In terms of the problems I'm having with my computer, well I removed the AVG antivirus which I had installed recently and I will see how it runs now. I think I will just replace my modem to keep my computer from turning on each time the phone rings. Thanks I will post future results for the benefit of other readers.
me

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Computer shuts down abnormally! Reply with quote

If your modem is on the motherboard, then somewhere in the bios settings will be a place to turn off the wake on ring. If it is a pci card then check the configuration in the device manager for similar settings. There has to be a place to turn it off. If you are using 3rd party fax/phone software, check that configuration. Replacing can be a pain in the butt only to find out the settings on the new one are the same as the old one and I am sure it has to be a changeable setting. You can also go to the manufacturer's site and download the manual for it. If it is onboard then go to the motherboard manufacturer.

Hope this helps
ME
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия