electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Microwave Combi-Oven Repair

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 05, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Microwave Combi-Oven Repair Reply with quote

I'm entirely new to domestic appliance repair, and I'd like to start with learning to repair this broken microwave sat in my room which my mom threw out. It's a 900W combi-oven, and all of it (the display, buttons, interior light, plate motor, and oven function) works, except for the microwave function.

So with that in mind I suspect the magnetron, or a fuse connected to the magnetron. If it were a cheap microwave it'd make more sense to just get another one, but these combi-ovens fetch a decent price. Plus, where's the sense in reduce, re-use, recycle, if I'm just gonna throw things out? Wink

Can you guys help me out in terms of what I should be looking for? I don't really want to power it up and listen for a humming noise, or try to heat water in there unless you feel that is necessary to troubleshoot it, as last time it was used the microwave function just wouldn't work - I don't think I'd find anything suprising there.

Also, are there any hazards I should observe other than forgetting to discharge the capacitors and running the microwave with the door/case open?

Thanks in advance Smile
The_AntiRAM

PostPosted: Mon Dec 06, 2010 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Microwave Combi-Oven Repair Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
I'm entirely new to domestic appliance repair,

Glad to read this, why you don't let it do by a professional ??

Anonymous wrote:
I suspect the magnetron or a fuse connected to the magnetron .

If the magnetron gun is gone then your attempt to repair is useless, you easyly surpassed the value for a new oven !

Also there are more components involved in magnetron power supply and control which they can fail often than the MG alone !

Anonymous wrote:
If it were a cheap microwave it'd make more sense to just get another one, but these combi-ovens fetch a decent price. Plus, where's the sense in reduce, re-use, recycle, if I'm just gonna throw things out? Wink

This is the modern chinese - globalized - money ass crap - which rules the life of the people and the very often failing economy general assets !

Anonymous wrote:
Can you guys help me out in terms of what I should be looking for?

Yes we can (oooops) BUT HOW ABOUT your skills in:

- Measuring dangerous voltages

- Estimating functional condition of all parts

- Read and understand service manuals

- General Knowledge and how to.

Anonymous wrote:
I don't really want to power it up and listen for a humming noise, or try to heat water in there unless you feel that is necessary to troubleshoot it, as last time it was used the microwave function just wouldn't work - I don't think I'd find anything suprising there.

Indeed,

General Knowledge and how to.

Anonymous wrote:

Also, are there any hazards I should observe other than forgetting to discharge the capacitors and running the microwave with the door/case open?

YES THEY ARE and they're LIFE HAZARDOUS VOLTAGES inside carried by / with high power frequency in the MW bandwith (2,4GHz) which are KILLERS !! (NOT JOKING).

NOW a question:

WHY YOU DON'T LET IT DO BY A PRO ??????????????

(It doesn't cost much)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You response to "are there any further hazards aside from X and Y?" was "YES THEY ARE". Infact, you haven't answered any of my questions for that matter. I presume therefore that you know nothing of how to answer my questions and instead encourage people like myself not to ask them. So I shall ignore you sir, and await somebody who can talk with experience on the matter. Good day.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm half way through studying A2 electronics. Aside from computers, phones, video consoles and the likes I haven't any experience with high power appliances such as this. Therefore it would make sense to ask people who are informed. "Professionals" as you call them had to learn from some other guy initially. Some of them learn the hard way; by wiring a kettle up wrong and being thrown across the room Razz
But I'd like to avoid such unpleasantness by taking answers to my questions.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The microwave I've got costs £75, compared to a new magnetron which costs about £50... really is a chinese waste world now Razz

Anyhow, I want the experience of fixing these, as I live on a student budget. It turns out it could be a variety of things causing the issue and I'll have to power it up again sometime to find out. In the mean time, I'll try testing the HV diodes and caps, door switches, fuses and magnetron. Then I'll check solder points. This microwave will LIVE (cook food) AGAIN! Razz
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stick a fork in it and see if it's done.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия