electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
How do I open my 19" Acer X193w Monitor?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bangonkali

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 1:35 pm    Post subject: How do I open my 19" Acer X193w Monitor? Reply with quote

Just yesterday, i started to notice small black clouds forming near the forehead bezel of my Acer X193w LCD monitor. When I touched the bezel in the top area, it was raging HOT! However, when i touch the bezel from the left, right and lower sides, they were very cool. Only the top side bezel was really hot. Today, after 1 hour and 30 minutes of use, the clouds would start appearing, and when I touch the top part of the bezel, it's really hot. I don't know what caused this, but I did transfer the monitor to another table. And then it started overheating very fast like this. I think it's the heat that caused the small black clouds to appear. And as the monitor heats up more, the black clouds, starts to get bigger, but still the affected area is still small. I'm afraid it would create dead pixels!!! I've been using this monitor for more than 8 hours before with out problems. Now, after less than 2 hours of use, the heat starts to gather in the top side of the bezel and the small black clouds starts to appear.

I was thinking maybe what caused the overheating was the heat sink probably got detached from the LCD of the monitor near the top part of the bezel. I'm planning to look at how things are going inside the monitor so that I can make assessments of what really is happening, but I'm stuck finding the screws!!! I have not yet decided to remove any sticker from the LCD monitor because there might not be screws there. If any of you guys out there have experience repairing this kind of problem, and knowing what the probably causes would be, please Help ME!!! This monitor is 2 years old, and the warranty is out. I really want to know why only the top part of the bezel start overheating really fast, while the lower, left and right part bezel are very cool.

Thank you in advance guys! I hope you'll help me.
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Heat rises."

Putty knife.

Use dry ice. Well maybe not, it could bring on the rain.
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $11.77 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FREE:
I hope mine don't ever do dat.

http://elektrotanya.com/acer_x193w_sm.pdf/download.html
Bangonkali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:04 am    Post subject: Cooling Solution Detached Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
"Heat rises."

Putty knife.

Use dry ice. Well maybe not, it could bring on the rain.

Come on! I know that very well. I was talking about the rate at which it was overheating. Before I could use my monitor for more than 8 hours a day. Now 2 hours of use, and the top bezel start to heat up like a burning fire, and the small black clouds start to appear. That's just not normal heat rising, right? This is like some cooling solution detached from this segment of the monitor.
Bangonkali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Thank You! Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
FREE:
I hope mine don't ever do dat.

Thank you very much my Friend! I hope with this manual i can isolate and repair this problem. I'm not in the mood to shell out money for another monitor. So I'm just gonna find a way to repair this.

THANK YOU!!!!
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is into it's third year. I use at least as heavily as you, cross fingers / knock on (real) wood, no black (yet). I do notice heat across the top, but nothing excessive. Try running at lower brightness/contrast settings. I don't recall if it has a backlight dimming feature in addition to these.
I repair monitors, and if this is like the majority, the LCD panel will have two CCFL bulbs across the top & two more across the bottom. When they fail the ends will blacken (and generate abnormal heat, but only at each end of the bulb{in the corners}). Of course you would have to CAREFULLY disassemble/reassemble the panel to prove or attempt to fix. It been my observation that the upper bulbs in panels seem to fail before the lower. Most will have a panel driver/LCD interface board across the top that the LVDS cable from the Scaler board connects to. Maybe it has a problem. By the way your clouds are caused by the heat - a lighter held near the face of the screen for a short time will cause one (Glass substrate will crack/shatter if flame is too intense or held too long).
I've not had to open mine, but almost universally the base has to go, then it's just a matter of slipping a thin semi-flexible putty knife into a lower corner and gently prying working you way around frame.
Bangonkali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 3:50 am    Post subject: Methods of repair? Reply with quote

jts1957 wrote:
Mine is into it's third year. I use at least as heavily as you, cross fingers / knock on (real) wood, no black (yet). I do notice heat across the top, but nothing excessive. Try running at lower brightness/contrast settings. I don't recall if it has a backlight dimming feature in addition to these.
I repair monitors, and if this is like the majority, the LCD panel will have two CCFL bulbs across the top & two more across the bottom. When they fail the ends will blacken (and generate abnormal heat, but only at each end of the bulb{in the corners}). Of course you would have to CAREFULLY disassemble/reassemble the panel to prove or attempt to fix. It been my observation that the upper bulbs in panels seem to fail before the lower. Most will have a panel driver/LCD interface board across the top that the LVDS cable from the Scaler board connects to. Maybe it has a problem. By the way your clouds are caused by the heat - a lighter held near the face of the screen for a short time will cause one (Glass substrate will crack/shatter if flame is too intense or held too long).
I've not had to open mine, but almost universally the base has to go, then it's just a matter of slipping a thin semi-flexible putty knife into a lower corner and gently prying working you way around frame.

I just tried to open the monitor but I was afraid to continue on because after I unscrewed the last screw, there were no latch to systematically open the monitor. The service manual did say something about "Remove the back cover and regard the hook." I was having problems what this means because I can't see any hook anywhere. It simply said, remove the back cover, i was confused how to - and it didn't show how to. Anyway, I think you're right, i have to use some sharp edge (knife) to open it up. Good thing i decided to consult your reply first in order to clear things up.

Additionally, as what you said, it could be that my monitor is having the same problem. The CCFL bulbs across the top could be failing. Because the heat they make in the top bezel is certainly VERY ABNORMAL. Have you had any experiences in replacing these bulbs? Are these bulbs replaceable? Or could i find a way to remove this bulbs from the circuit altogether to avoid it from overheating the rest of the monitor and generally causing the black clouds. And the thing you said about the "panel driver/LCD interface board across the top that the LVDS cable from the Scaler board connects to", if it ever has a problem, does it produce the same kind of symptoms I'm currently experiencing, like abnormal overheating?

I apologize for the many questions. I do repair most electronic equipments myself, But this is the first time I'm repairing an LCD monitor and I'm not quite familiar with their build. Good thing though that the Service Manual is available and I've learned a lot from it.

Thank you for your replies. I really appreciate it!
jts1957

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've ever taken remote controls apart, you know that many employ "hooks" that can gently be pried from their frame. I've seen some where you "slide" top & bottom in opposite directions 1/8" to 1/4" and then they pull apart.

See exploded view page 42 items 1 & 5 you can make out where hooks are located. I find going around perimeter saving bottom for last.
They would want you to replace whole panel (in violet), but if you're mechanically and electronically competent bulbs can be changed out.
A rule I've always used is: "If it ain't broke don't mess with it," so I'm not about to open mine.
Bangonkali

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 9:38 am    Post subject: Just Opened it Up Reply with quote

I just opened it up. Too bad though i was referring to the manual in print. The quality's not that good and I can't pin point the hooks exact locations. I came breaking a few of them in the process but I did successfully open it up.

After isolating the two boards (i only had VGA and no DVI, plus the power supply board) i noticed the color gradations in the PCB clearly showing the temperature irregularities in them. I also noticed, almost burned up components from the two PCB's.

I didn't have the chance to open up the LCD unit itself. I noticed it was of another brand, [url="http://www.chimei-innolux.com/opencms/cmo/index.html?__locale=en"]InnoLux. [/url] I didn't want to go that deep because the Service Manual doesn't cover its disassembly/assembly procedures. I also brushed the two PCB's with water and detergent soap hoping it could clean them up and make them work better. I didn't have the proper to tester to pinpoint the exact location of the defective component but it seems to be on the power supply board otherwise it should be in the LCD unit itself, which I didn't open.

I'm writing this reply using the same monitor after I assembled it back. The disassembly was quite rough leaving a lot of damage on the sidings of my monitor! lol! Anyway, I learned a lot in the process. I think i'm sending this soon to our local repair center. In the end I think the problem's either with the power supply board, or the LCD unit itself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия