electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Lecroy LS140
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Service manuals & datasheets
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kdonadio

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:39 pm    Post subject: Lecroy LS140 Reply with quote

Does anyone have the install disk for a Lecroy LS140 oscilloscope? I need this disk to get my scope back up and running. Thanks!
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We bought a brand new LS140 to our lab in the mid-nineties, and no software disks were supplied with it (except for network drivers etc), it was supposed that the 'scope should be returned for factory repair in case of a disk crash.

As you probably know, the LS140 uses a PC platform (386SX) and the application runs under MS-DOS 5.0 . Probably, it would be possible to hook-up a hard drive from a working LS140 in a desktop computer and make a complete copy of the drive, then format and SYS another drive with DOS 5.0 and copy the application back to that one.

However, we don't have that scope around any more so i can't help with any data images.

The only problems we had with it were related to the backup battery (3,6 V Ni-Cd) that failed and leaked several times during the years. Apparently, the trickle charge current is too high for continuous use.
franc

PostPosted: Mon Aug 04, 2008 10:55 am    Post subject: disks Reply with quote

Hi

I have a scopestation... no disks.. Did you had any luck getting the disks?

I have the same problem as you have... Disk failure

Thanks

Franc
mrn17

PostPosted: Sat Jan 14, 2012 1:44 am    Post subject: System is really on the HDD? Reply with quote

Hi.

Are you sure that the firmware is in the HDD in that scope? I still use this oscilloscope at work, but I can't hear it loads anything from the hard drive during boot. I can hear the HDD's self test only.

I think the firmware is in some EPROMS/EEPROMS or Flash memories. Probably it can't boot without a HD. But you maybe have to install only the correct version of DOS, and maybe create some empty system directories. Maybe it works... If I access our LS140's hard drive, I will upload an image file from it to eserviceinfo.

@ torbjorn
I will never understand, why manufacturers mount these well-known leakage sources on the mainboard?!!!! It should be wired out and placed in a fluid-tight plastic container, glued to the most far corner of the case, as far from the mainboard as possible!

I'm working for nearly 4 years at this company with that scope, and it has internal clock problems from the beginning. It's clock can operate only for about 2-4 hours from the backup battery. MFG date is 1995. I've asked my superiors several times to take it to a maintanance, but nothing happened. The scope still works, but I'm afraid the electrolyte of the backup battery corroded the mainboard irretrievably. I cross my fingers it can be rescued, because I like this old scope...

Best wishes,
mrn17
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Maybe I can help you ...
For my part, I also have a problem.
During startup in PC mode, the following screen appear : "CMOS memory size mismatch"
Now if I press the DEL key to enter the bios setup : "No CMOS setup present"
Is this a normal behavior of the LS140 or is it a defect ?
In the next post I will explain you my problem while installing the firmware.
Thank you very much.
PatXaran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2012 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Th previous post is mine ... I failed my logon. Sorry !
My scope needs loading firmware :

When i place the firmware disk in the drive, it loads from 0 to 100%.

I remove the disk and the scope reboots ...
Then goto begin !
The first screen appears again, asking for the firmware download.
Please, do you have an idea ?
I replaced the two batteries (on motherboard and the lithium battery).
Thank you very much.
PatXaran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
I think your post may be dead and buried, but I just discovered it yesterday.
I have the documentation and firmware disks.
The scope hard disk was hs. I replaced it but I don't know what should be its content (DOS version, tree folders and files).
A disk image would be welcome.
If you are looking for the manual or the firmware file let me know.
Thank you infinitely.
mrn17

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PatXaran wrote:
Hi,
I think your post may be dead and buried, but I just discovered it yesterday.
I have the documentation and firmware disks.
The scope hard disk was hs. I replaced it but I don't know what should be its content (DOS version, tree folders and files).
A disk image would be welcome.
If you are looking for the manual or the firmware file let me know.
Thank you infinitely.

Hi.

If I will get access to the HDD, i will make an image file from it. The only problem is I don't know when I will get access for it, maybe never... Unfortunately we don't have the firmware diskettes. If that message appeared after the dead of the HD, probably the firmware is really on it, and not in flash/EEPROM memory, as I supposed.

Other question: What size of HDD have you installed? Maybe the BIOS can't initialize it automatically, or at all. I think it's original was a 170AT or something like that, maybe the bios can't handle HDDs above eg. 540MB, I don't know.

Ours started to show error messages during power on self-calibration, eg. "Fatal Error: Trigger pulse not occured", or "Internal Error: Failed to start TDC" (or something like that), or "Trigger pulse too narrow". After 2-3 power cycles, the error disappears. But if I don't care about the error messages, and use the scope without power cycling, it looks to work normally...

How can I start that scope in PC mode?? I never tried it... I just have to connect an AT keyboard?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PatXaran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mrn17 wrote:

Hi.

If I will get access to the HDD, i will make an image file from it. ...

I'll be patient !
Quote:

Other question: What size of HDD have you installed ? ...

I found on ebay, exactly the same disk (Quantum ProDrive ELS 127 MB)
Quote:

How can I start that scope in PC mode ?? ...

Locate the 724-F-5 I/O card plugged into the main CPU card.
With a shunt, short the two pins header (J5020) near the center of the 724-F5 board.
Disconnect the lower ribbon cable from the J5002 connector.

Connect a PC/AT keyboard into the rear connector.
Place a bootable disk into the floppy drive. (I use a dos 3.3 or dos 6.2 system disk).
Turn the system on.

If you do this, please can you tell me the HDD label name and the organization of the existing files on the hdd.
I remember that there must be a folder named ls140_l1.dir.
I created it.
Maybe other folders are missing and this makes the installation impossible.

Thank you very much for your help.
PatXaran

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Quote:
... our EPROM programmer (old ISA "Sunshine") ...

I also have an old eprom programmer of the same brand as yours (Sunshine, bus ISA ! ).
Quote:
There is a CR2032 and a 3,6V 60-80mAh NI-CD? Previously I have to order them.

on the 724-F5 board there is a 3v cylindrical lithium battery.
And on the motherboard, a Ni-Cd battery that I replaced with its Ni-MH equivalent.
Quote:
I can see an empty PLCC socket ...It can enhance the capabilities of the scope, or can be used only in PC mode?

I think it is a 387 socket, but I'm not sure it's of great interest in PC mode ... and not at all in scope mode.
Quote:

... I've seen 3pcs ... as I remember, there was a 127MB piece
Retrieve it ! It becomes a rare and expensive piece on the web ...

Read you soon !
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Service manuals & datasheets All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия