electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
What tools should I use?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck441

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 6:02 pm    Post subject: What tools should I use? Reply with quote

Hello everybody,

I need help finding out what tools to use to pull (disconnect) the different sized harnesses that plug into the main board and the power supply on LCD TVs. These are similar (and some the same) as ones used on notebook computers as well (I'm not referring to ZIF and LIF cables). I have used needle-nose pliers (on smaller harnesses), I have used my fingers, I have pried and pushed with screwdrivers, and I have used a chip puller (but that doesn't work on the smaller ones or the biggest ones, and it's not quite the right grip either). I am tired of the harness plugs not coming out cleanly, and sometimes they bend out of shape, or break, or a wire breaks. I would like to find tools designed for the job.

Thank you, and God bless!
chuck441

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 3:55 pm    Post subject: Still need help picking good tools that pull cable harnesses Reply with quote

I'm sure there are tools out there to do this, and before I posted my original question, I did an extended Google search looking for them, but nothing appropriate showed up. I really could use help determining what I should get, or at least some good tips on how other techs pull these cables out without harming them. Most come out pretty good, but every once in a while some are in so tightly that you really have to use quite a bit of force, which of course puts me at risk of breaking them, or something else nearby.

There's already been 70 views of this topic, yet no replies (I'm not counting the one the moderator deleted). Can someone please help me here?

Thank you, and God bless! Chuck
vtech

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2013 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chuck,
There are no specific tools available for every connector per se. I am well aware of the times where it may be rather difficult to release a specific cable/connector. It is more the function of "How to" rather than using a tool. No doubt it will get easier with field exposure. More patience? One trick is to use a bit of no residue lubricant...etc
Sometimes, finding a datasheet for the specific connector(I know it may take some time) may refer you to a hand tool--- most don't.
There may be times that no matter how careful you are, it will be damaged especially in the field of consumer electronics that gets cheaper every day.

Exactly what type are you referring to?
chuck441

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTech,

I will be doing a repair job late this coming week, or early next. I will take some pictures and post them for review. The wiring harness plugs range in size from about 1/4" (usually easy to pull by hand), to 2 or 3" across (and these sometimes are in very tight). They only stick out about an 1/8th off an inch, and then the wires are coming out of them. So you need to be very careful. Needle lose pliers work ok on the smaller ones, but they can also slip and break the wires. The same with a chip puller.

As far as "no residue lubricant," what would I look for? I do carry Goo Gone with me, so I can clean them pretty good (after they're removed). But I'm not sure how that lubricant would get "into" the connection unless it was liquid, like a thin oil. I don't need it to insert or reinsert the wiring harness, just to separate the harnesses from the main board.

Thank you, VTech, for your response and questions. I will post those images as soon as possible. God bless! Chuck
vtech

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 1:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "no residue lubricant" I meant anything like cramoline or various spray contact cleaners that are only sold in electronic stopres.
"Goo be gone" is a kerosene based solvent and is NOT meant for electronics. ---same with WD40 or any of the other kerosene based sprays sold in auto parts stores.
chuck441

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2013 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTech,

Thank you for all your help so far. I am going on a job today, so I can post some pictures of the wire harness plugs I typically have to disconnect. I'll probably get those posted tomorrow morning. I'm going to stop at a Radio Shack on my way to the job and pick up some "no residue lubricant" and try that out today.

Thank you again, and God bless!
chuck441

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VTech,

I found a solution yesterday when I went to Radio Shack to look for the "no residue lubricant." They had some electrical lubricant, but it didn't say "no residue" anywhere on it. So I asked about pulling tools, and he showed me a chip puller much better than the one I had. So I bought that and tried it out, and it seems to work pretty good. It's called a "Square IC PLCC Extraction Tool," Radio Shack's part number 276-2101.

I still posted pictures online of the wire harness plus, and I posted pictures of this tool as well. I hope this can help out some other techs!

http://wireharnessplugsandpuller.shutterfly.com/pictures/8

Thank you, VTech Cool for all your help, I greatly appreciate it! God bless!
chuck441

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2013 1:37 am    Post subject: Upon further review ... Reply with quote

I just wanted to update this solution for anyone interested. I have now used this tool on another half dozen LCD TV repair jobs or so, and it has worked very well for the purpose.

God bless! Chuck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия