electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Quirky problem with RCA Projection TV model #: D52W19

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronw_57

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:42 am    Post subject: Quirky problem with RCA Projection TV model #: D52W19 Reply with quote

Recently changed over to ATT U-verse for HD service. Hook up was with composite cables to get high def picture. All was working well. I made what appears to be a mistake by plugging in the HDMI cable I had in my dvd player (to the TV) into the ATT HD receiver. I immediately lost HD video on the TV. Sound comes in OK. Replaced cables, no change. Switched to CMP #2, no change. Thought it might be the ATT HD receiver. Hooked it up to another TV. It worked fine. I re-hooked the HDMI cable to the DVD player. It works fine, HD video and audio. So, by plugging in the HDMI cable to the HD receiver, I messed up something on the Hi Def video on the TV. Any suggestions are welcomed.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronw_57 wrote:
Hook up was with composite cables to get high def picture.

Composite cables (S-Video or Yellow plus White & Red) will NOT get you high def picture.

from the User Manual:

DVI-HDTV Input Lets you connect an HD receiver with a DVI output.
• DVI (Digital Visual Interface) Provides an uncompressed, digital video interface developed for high-bandwidth digital connection. It supports the overlay of high-resolution graphics needed by some electronic program guide navigation and other interactive services. DVl, when combined with HDCP (High bandwidth Digital Content Protection) technology, creates a protected digital connection. The signal speed of the DVl connection is 1080i for HDIV at a rate of 1.78 Gigabits per second.
• L/MONO (Audio) Provides left audio connection when using the DVl jack. The left audio connector is usually white.
• R (Audio) Provides right audio connection when using the DVl jack. The right audio connector is usually red.
Note. Remember to connect the left and right audio cables because the DVl cable carries only the picture signal, not the sound.

COMPONENT INPUTS Lets you connect a component video source, such as a DVD player.
• CMP1 Y, P_, PR(Component Video) Provides optimum picture quality because the video is separated into three signals. Use three video-grade cables for the connection. When using CMP1 Y, PB, PR, make sure to connect left and right audio cables to the CMP1 L/MONO and R Audio Input jacks.
• CMP1 L/MONO (Audio) Provides left audio connection. The left audio connector is usually white.
• CMP1 R (Audio) Provides right audio connection. The right audio connector is usually red.
• CMP2 Y, PB, PR, and L/MONO and R Audio Allows you to connect a second component video source. Their description is the same as CMP1 above. When using CMP2 Y, PB, PR, make sure you
connect the left and right audio cables to the CMP2 Audio jacks.

COMPOSITE INPUTS Lets you connect another component such as a VCR, DVD player, or laserdisc player. Its AUDIO jacks are the same as described for CMP1 above.
• VlD1 S-VIDEO Provides better picture quality than the video jacks (VlD1 and 2 Video) because the color part of the signal is separated from the black and white part of the picture. When using VID1 S-VIDEO, make sure to connect left and right audio cables to the VlD1 L/MONO and R Audio Input jacks.
• VID1 V (Video) Provides composite video connection. The video connector is usually yellow.
• VID2 S-VIDEO, V and L/MONO and R Audio Allows you to connect a component such as a VCR, DVD player, or laserdisc player. Their description is the same as VID1 above.
Note: Do not connect on S-Video and Video cable at the same time in either VID1 or VID2 jacks.

ronw_57

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The initial hook up with the HD receiver was with CMP1 Y, P_, PR(Component Video) and CMP1 L/MONO (Audio), CMP1 R (Audio). The picture was excellent. It was not until I also hooked up the HDMI cable to the HD receiver at the same time, that the problem started.
jts1957

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2013 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronw_57 wrote:
the HDMI cable I had in my dvd player (to the TV)

One end of HDMI cable plugs into jack on DVD.

Other HDMI cable end? HDMI to DVI adaptor? HDMI to component adaptor? Or what?
ronw_57

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 12:43 am    Post subject: Quirky problem with RCA Projection TV model #: D52W19 Reply with quote

The end that plugs into the TV is HDMI with a DVI adapter on it. I did not take that end off at any time.
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HDMI jack on the ATT HD receiver is an OUTput...
The Component jacks on ATT HD receiver are an OUTput (switchable format)
(The YPbPr (red, blue, and green) connectors provide high-definition component video signals to an HDTV.
Note: Set the HD mode and select the output video format (480i, 720p, 1080i) on the receiver using the instructions provided in the Feature
Guide. See the connection diagram on page 16 for an example.)
Make sure is still set correctly.

HDMI jack on the back of the DVD player is an OUTput...
HDMI jack on the HDMI to DVI adaptor is an INput...
TV has NO HDMI jacks whatsoever.
As long as you didn't/don't connect the ATT HDMI Output to the DVD HDMI OUTput while the ATT HD receiver was also Component OUTputting...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2013 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your last sentence sums up what I did. An apparently, messed up the tv by doing so. Now, I am looking for a fix.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия