electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Philips pm 3214 oscilloscope -- question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kell555

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:12 pm    Post subject: Philips pm 3214 oscilloscope -- question Reply with quote

Hi -
I bought this at a yard sale today. Does anyone know where I can get a manual for this thing?
Also, I may have, well, egg on my face for asking this. But oh well.
When I was in school for TV production, we used a waveform/vectorscope. It looked like this and that's why I bought it, but I'm not sure I've bought the right thing. I took the video out from a monitor just to see if this is a working piece of equipment. I played around with it for awhile, but I don't see any of the screens I recall which monitored the levels coming out, or the colors. It's possible I'm just doing this wrong, unless of course i've bought the wrong thing. Hence my need for a manual, and advice from someone in the know. Wink
Help---?
Thanks
R_ay

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a mistake in buying......

While an oscilloscope can be used to monitor video & similar to a waveform monitor/vectroscope, it is not the same thing.
Waveform monitor is mainly used to analyze sections of a waveform in much more detailed form & used extensively in broadcast facilities to monitor all aspects of a video signal(ie; color/luma/sync.etc)

While there is nothing wrong with a PM3214, it's a basic Analog 25MHZ scope (rather obsolete & not sure where to get a manual---proly someone sells on the net)

Here is an example of what you proly had in mind:

http://tinyurl.com/oxmhb

Ray
Kell555

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that was what I thought it was.
Is there any market for this thing or is it totally obsolete? Maybe I could sell it on ebay?
Kell555

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if I did sell it, what would it be worth?
(For some reason this isn't giving me the option to edit my earlier post)
R_ay

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

'fcourse you can try selling it & someone will pay for it. As to how much?
Just don''t know. suggest doing a search & get some ideas

Ray
Kell555

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could try - but is it a piece of obsolete equipment that no one would use? like a pentium 2 computer? Or is it something that, even though it's older, would still be a good buy for someone and applicable to today's technology? And if so who would me most likely to use this?
I did do a Google search but didn't find much. However I'l do a more extensive search and check it out.
vtech

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

k,

Can't really compare to computers. But it is definitley outdated in todays technology. A 25 mhz scope is pretty much limited with most if not all todays technology where 60~200mhz scopes are the norm. It simply not able to handle a lot of complex signals & has limited use in today's field

However it is perfectly useful for lets say, a hobbyist or someone that works on the side, student etc.

Ray
Kell555

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, well I guess I'll try to get a few bucks for it somewhere. But is there no way to make this work to monitor my video levels?
I can't believe it. I was so excited, thinking I'd found a waveform/vectorscope. Sad And so cheeep!
vtech

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like I mentioned before, there is no problem in using a scope to look at the video. You can still see/measure the majority of components of a video signal...difference being that waveform monitor is specifically designed for viewing composite video in a more detailed form. Sorta like viewing it under a magnifying glass. It is also a great tool in troubleshooting various video color/luma issues & keeping live broadcast video to near "perfect" levels.

As a matter of fact unless you work in a live broadcast/studio enviroment or R&D where precision monitoring of video is required, using a waveform monitor is rather expensive & an overkill.

Ray

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Philips pm 3214 oscilloscope -- question Reply with quote

http://cgi.ebay.com/Tektronix-520-NTSC-Oscilloscope-Video-Vectorscope_W0QQitemZ7617709758QQcategoryZ104247QQssPageNameZWD10VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem#ebayphotohosting
The above is on ebay but I wonder if an add on interface is available for a standard oscilloscope. I sort of remember something some years ago in a magazine and may be "Television" as a project.
The other would be p.c based via interface and software although never seen them in action.
Fortunately they are not really required these days as stated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия