electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
How to lock entire drive on computer?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
marchus

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:45 am    Post subject: How to lock entire drive on computer? Reply with quote

I'm looking for a way either to lock or hide my E drive. I have installed the drive in my computer and stored many files containing my finance information and other work information on it, I want to lock or hide the drive so other members stay off of it. It'll be better if the drive is invisible and unknown for all the users of the computer except me. Does anyone have a good suggestion on it? Thanks in advance!
wolfeye

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2014 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What OS do u use? If u are using win 7, or win 8, you can use bitlocker in the control panel to password protect your E drive. Password protection can effectively prevent unauthorized access to the drive.

But if you are using other OSes, you can only protect E drive with 3rd party software. How about TrueCrypt, it's renowned and reputed. And it's also provide you with encryption solution. Of course, you can also use Advanced folder encryption to lock and hide the E drive, but this software is mainly used to encrypt folders and files on computer and flash drives; locking and hiding hard drive is its sub-function, and it can't provide encryption for entire hard drive.

You can find the programs I mentioned above here:
http://www.truecrypt.org
http://www.kakasoft.com/folder-encryption/

Hope my answer may help u!
Extender

PostPosted: Fri Jun 06, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About a week ago i have heard information that True Crypt will no longer be updated. This was a big scandal
amber.amelia

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2015 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed the drive in my computer and stored many files containing my finance information and other work information on it, I want to lock or hide the drive so other members stay off of it. It'll be better if the drive is invisible and unknown for all the users of the computer except me. Does anyone have a good suggestion on it? Thanks in advance!
owennguyen

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: How to lock entire drive on computer? Reply with quote

I used WinMend for awhile. Was totally happy with it, same goes for TrueCrypt.
DO NOT FORGET YOUR PASSWORD.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is another way to hide the entire drive without any tools or software.. Just follow these steps

1 . Click on the "Start" button. Go to "Run", type "gpedit.msc" and press enter.

2. Wait for the "Group Policy" window to appear. Click on the "+" button beside User Configuration then click on the "+" button beside "Administrative Templates". Then click the "+" button beside "Windows Components" and then click "Windows Explorer".

3. Search for "Hide these specified drives in My Computer" in the options that appear in the right column of the window. Double click it, enable it and choose the drive(s) you want to hide.

4 . Search for "Prevent access to drives from My Computer". Double click it and repeat the previous step if you want to stop accessing any drive by "command" (e.g, by typing "C:" in the address bar or "Run").

5 . Close the group policy window.

6 . Restart your computer for changes to take effect.

7 . Only the first hard disk drives can be locked here.
companyinformation12

PostPosted: Thu Jun 25, 2015 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check This url http://www.wikihow.com/Hide-and-Lock-Hard-Disk-Drives-in-%22My-Computer%22 for step by step

Thanks & regards
nickspark05

PostPosted: Wed Sep 30, 2020 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are using Windows and you want to lock your drives then you must go to my PC then right-click on the drive you want to lock and then turn on BitLocker. Follow the instructions and fill the required fields.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bitlocker is a grat tool. So many people tried to remove password from BitLocker and nobody did it.
howar dellis

PostPosted: Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:04 am    Post subject: Nice post Reply with quote

I read about True Crypt's being revised about one week ago. That was a great scandal
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия