electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
SONY STRDN840 HDMI Problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
irobot

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2015 5:04 am    Post subject: SONY STRDN840 HDMI Problem Reply with quote

Had no sound/video from HDMI ports on this unit. I replaced the HDMI xcvr IC, Silicon Image SII9573CTUC.

Now have sound, is decoding audio program material fine, but no video. No OSD either.

Any ideas? Is their possibly firmware that runs on this chip? Or do I still have a problem elsewhere?

Sony says this chip is non-replaceable, but only because I think it has the bottom of the die exposed for soldering onto top-side ground plane, which most shops are not equipped to do.

Thanks,
Mike

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is it a BGA or does it have the pins 'folded' under the chip? Mask off other areas with foil and use a heat gun. Itll come off eventually. To solder, flux the pads, tin them and set chip onto pads and hot air it again until you see it 'move' onto the pads.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:13 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

I also now have a Yamaha RX-V477 and a Sony STR-DN1030 that have the same problem . . . HDMI is decoding audio properly, but I have no video out. No OSD either. I had them on my bench for other problems, so I was surprised to see this same issue when testing.

These units are also using the SII9573CTUC chip . . . I am losing all confidence in Silicon Image (and this chip in particular).

I'm wondering if this is HDCP related . . . although I would expect the OSD to work . . .

If there are any HDMI experts out there, feel free to jump in with any comments or suggestions.
irobot

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:17 am    Post subject: Whoops . . . Reply with quote

The "update" post was mine - I wasn't logged in so it shows author as "guest"

-Mike
irobot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:29 am    Post subject: Update Reply with quote

Success . . . got things resolved! All working fine now.
valr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello irobot, I'm having a problem with my STR-DN840 unit which has a "protector" mode. I tracked down that SiI9573CTUC is shorting 1.2v to GND and 3.3v to GND, so i'm going to get such chip off of Ebay for 10 bucks and replace it. Have you used a Heat gun to desolder and install the chip so the GND pad underneath got soldered to PCB? I hope that after I replace the chip it all will work.
valr

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also did you have to reflash the firmware on the chip?
valr

PostPosted: Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey irobot, could you please share how did you fix the "no video" problem after SII9573CTUC replacement? I'm having exactly same situation..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия