electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
pcg-nv190 bios or cd-rom problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andrzej11

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 1:15 pm    Post subject: pcg-nv190 bios or cd-rom problem Reply with quote

my cd-rom wont work, is there anyway to replace this without sending it in to sony for 300 bones. Also, is there anyway to reflash the bios myself, maybe this can fix the the cd-rom problem... ive tried everything and am about to sell an almost working laptop on ebay for parts, simply because the damn cd-rom wont read, help............!
andrew

ps.
the help guys at sony are assholes, all they want is your money

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the CD ROM slide out of the front (side) when a latch is undone?
Does your computer reconize that the CD ROM is connected? Have a look in Device Manager / Hardware.
Flashing the BIOS on a computer that is not working properly is VERY dangerous.
If it is an internal drive, are you comfortable with removing and replacing many tiny screws, It is not hard but time consuming.
Does the CD ROM try to read the disc / can you hear it spinning up to speed? I am sure you have tried several different discs especially a manufactured disc and not one that has been burnt.

Let us know what you find. Smile

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guest:

First, thanks for the reply. No, the CD ROM does not slide out the front side, it is internal. The CD-ROM was recognized in device manager when windows was working, but it still would not read CD's. So i ran fdisk and reformated. Now i have no OS. When I put the windows disk in or any disk the CD-ROM spins and the light turns on but the disks wont read. I even tried several boot disks from bootdisk.com with CD-ROM support and the drive letter appears in dos, but the disk cannot be read. Some error is shown.

Now, when windows was working, it had major issues; probably a big virus. Maybe this messed up my bios? I don't know. Maybe the CD-ROM simply is old and bad. I have no problem taking apart this laptop into a million pieces and changing the CD-ROM or reflashing the bios if someone would simply give me directions on how to do this. Sony keeps saying, "this information is not available online". Where would I get the bios files then?

I have spent around 10+ hours trying to fix this so far and I am not the type of person that will quit. I need to fix this myself.

Thanks,

Andrzej

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

......PLEASE HELP ME

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you reformat without a working CDROM??
If you have only FDISKed, nortons disk doctor may be able to reconstruct the partition table.
If you have formatted as well............. If the computer will boot from a USB drive, maybe you could use a USB CDROM?
It should not be hard to remove your CDROM, look underneath for screws. If you are lucky some will have a CDROM drawn near them. Failing this, remove any with a keyboard picture near them and have a look under the keyboard. You will probably have to remove all of the screws (look in the battery compartment also) and take the top of the computer. The keyboard may have clips or a hidden fastener on top also.
There is a site that shows descriptions of how to dis-assemble laptops, I am not sure if it is this site or another.
Other options:- Install operating system over a network.
:- Take harddrive out and set it up with a desktop.
:- Windows '95 came out on floppies, I have been told.

Good luck and please post us a reply. Smile

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i took out the old drive and ordered an older model, we will see if it works,
thanks for your help so far guys

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i put in the new drive and bios cant detect it but when i put the startup disk in and start with cd rom support i can read the contents on the drive.. but I cant setup windows from a startup disk. what do i do

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loaded the 6 startup disks for pcs that dont have cd-rom boot and the cd-rom started working.. weird, the new ghetto cd-rom i put in works when the cd-rom drivers are loaded even though bios cant detect it. anyways all works fine now, fixed it all . yipeee kay yay,
peace
thanks

andrew

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BIOS is small, it fits in a chip. I guess your CDROM was made after your BIOS was made. Windows is large, it fits on a hard drive, so it is able to detect much more equipment. Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия