electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Zenith question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Zenith question Reply with quote

I have an old style Zenith Sentry 2 console. It's 12 years old.

When the screen is mainly white the screen will flick like it is going off and on, the tv doesn't shut off and on, but the screen flicks or contracts to the center of the screen.

It's been a great tv, I have no idea what the problem is, any ideas, and if so, is it worth fixing or buying a new one?

Thanks for looking and thanks for all replies in advance.
Mel

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 10:53 pm    Post subject: Zenith Reply with quote

About 2/3rds of the sets that come into my shop are Zeniths that were manufactured in the early to late 90s. Most of those I can figure will be a bad CRT or voltage regulator or a vertical sweep problem. Your symptoms may stem from a bad CRT or voltage regulator or both. Given the high failure rate of Zenith CRTs, if that is not the problem now, it probably soon will be. I would start looking for a new name brand TV (other than RCA/GE or Zenith). You might want to check out www>FreeFlatScreens.com/?r=10948674 for an opportuniyty to earn a free replacement for this set with a little effort on your part.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the picture is shrinking, it may just be the filter capacitors have dried out. If you know how to solder you may be able to fix it for a few dollars.
schribs

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 6:37 pm    Post subject: new zenith console tv less than one year old Reply with quote

I recently bought a console tv from amazon for my mom. I can't find the manual that came with it. Today for no reason the menu info keeps poping up on the screen and won't go away until you hit the quite button on the remote. Then is comes back again. Where can I find a manuel or can you tell me what to do with it or fix it?
Thanks

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2005 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If they are willing to give you a T.V. just for selling them valid Email addresses, it goes to show how much your Email address is worth to the Advertising Spammers! Nothing is for 'free'.
RFS

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: zenith Reply with quote

I agree with Mel,
I was trained on Zeniths in 78'. I not only agree with Mel, I offer our 'Rule of Repair' in my shop. "The only thing worse than a GE on the bench is 2 GE's on the bench" Good luck as you move on!
Rickyc

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: zenith Reply with quote

[quote="RFS"]I agree with Mel,
I was trained on Zeniths in 78'. I not only agree with Mel, I offer our 'Rule of Repair' in my shop. "The only thing worse than a GE on the bench is 2 GE's on the bench" Good luck as you move on![/quote]

Did you not read the original question? Guest said it was a GREAT tv. I have a 25 year old Sentry 2 which is now exhibiting much the same problem, only the sound goes off too. The symptoms stop after a few minutes when it warms up. I would like to know what the problem is, not the advice "buy a new TV". With that attitude I don't suppose you or Mel do much repair work do you? Barring a bad crt, the parts to repair this tv are much less than a new model.
jts1957

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you NOT read the DATE associated with the "original" post/thread?

DECEMBER 6, 2004 - FOUR YEARS, ONE MONTH OLD!

Now in regards to YOUR set ... What is Model/Chassis number? (I may have the schematic, but can't even look until I have one or the other).

"Sentry 2" is just a badge or selling point, just like saying: I have a Chevy "V-8."

I'd start by checking Power Supply voltages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия