electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Philips Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV has Green Haze

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NTL1991

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Philips Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV has Green Haze Reply with quote

Hello. I have a Philips Magnavox 64" Rear-Projection TV that was manufactured in October of 1999. It has been working fine all these years. But I can notice a green haze around light or white colors and text on a dark backround, like the Blank Video Input Channels. This is getting very annoying. I went into the Service Menu, and tried a few things, but no luck. I also tried the convergence wizard, and even cleaning the lenses inside the TV. The green haze is still there. Does that mean it is time for a new TV? Is it able to be fixed, or is it burn-in? Should I call a TV Repair Man? I don't think I could part with this huge TV...

Thank You,

Nick Lester
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Obviously it is a component failing. Why do you think you can adjust it out??
NTL1991

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont know, but I'm no TV Repair Man or anything... Just though It could make it a little more bareable. Now what "kind" of component could be at fault?

Thanks,

Nick
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a component is failing, you may be able to adjust to compensate for it and adjust and adjust, but when the component is replaced all of the adjustments will be wrong. In industry, it is better and quicker to replace the component and leave the adjustments as a last resort.
I can't suggest anything specific, rear projection is uncommon in this country. I would start by testing all powersupplies for correct voltage and absence of noise.
It could just be a solder joint going bad.

Maybe someone else here is familiar with your model?

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2006 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: Philips Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV has Green Haze Reply with quote

NTL1991 wrote:
Hello. I have a Philips Magnavox 64" Rear-Projection TV that was manufactured in October of 1999. It has been working fine all these years. But I can notice a green haze around light or white colors and text on a dark backround, like the Blank Video Input Channels. This is getting very annoying. I went into the Service Menu, and tried a few things, but no luck. I also tried the convergence wizard, and even cleaning the lenses inside the TV. The green haze is still there. Does that mean it is time for a new TV? Is it able to be fixed, or is it burn-in? Should I call a TV Repair Man? I don't think I could part with this huge TV...

Thank You,

Nick Lester

That green haze could be from dirty crystalized CRT coolant fluid. Look in the green crt look straight down and see if you see a brown or crystalized substance in the tube if so then it needs a fluid change. you have to take off the screen to view this.

One more thing you can do is take off off the speaker front cover of the set, there you will find a control with six adjustments .

The top three is usually Screen Controls, Locate the one that has the Symbol (G) or may say green on it and slow turn it clockwise while looking at the screen until you see green horizontal lines across the entire screen, then slowly turn it counter clock wise just until all the lines disappear and the pic is normal, You might want to turn this somemore just to make sure the lines are gone. Then go into menu and bring up you convergence screen should be a cross hair or Screen full of Boxes.
\If cross hair use ur buttons to move the red and blue to one side, until just the green is showing the red and blue do not disappear during this process just moved out of the way. Now the same control u used has another three controls labeled Focus, While looking at the green crosshair on the screen adjust the control until you detrimine it is has good focus, try the same with the other focus controls since the are now separate from each other and focus them your best. Replace the front cover and move red and blue crosshairs back to there posistions on top of green. Crosshair should be white and enjoy your television again. PS: Only a technician can replace the fluid if that is whats needed, Call your service provider for this procedure..

Hope this helps you;;;
[email protected]
Scott McCulloch

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Magnavox Model 55P8288 Reply with quote

I have a Magavox Model # 55P8288 (about 6 years old). After being on for about an hour the sound gets lower and lower then goes away completely. After the TV is turned off (cooled down) the volume returns to normal levels until it gets hot again. Any idea which component is failing?

Thanks,

Scott
NTL1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Philips Magnavox 9P6444 64" RPTV has Green Haze Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
NTL1991 wrote:

Thank You,

Nick Lester

That green haze could be from dirty crystalized CRT coolant fluid. Look in the green crt look straight down and see if you see a brown or crystalized substance in the tube if so then it needs a fluid change. you have to take off the screen to view this.

One more thing you can do is take off off the speaker front cover of the set, there you will find a control with six adjustments .

The top three is usually Screen Controls, Locate the one that has the Symbol (G) or may say green on it and slow turn it clockwise while looking at the screen until you see green horizontal lines across the entire screen, then slowly turn it counter clock wise just until all the lines disappear and the pic is normal, You might want to turn this somemore just to make sure the lines are gone. Then go into menu and bring up you convergence screen should be a cross hair or Screen full of Boxes.
\If cross hair use ur buttons to move the red and blue to one side, until just the green is showing the red and blue do not disappear during this process just moved out of the way. Now the same control u used has another three controls labeled Focus, While looking at the green crosshair on the screen adjust the control until you detrimine it is has good focus, try the same with the other focus controls since the are now separate from each other and focus them your best. Replace the front cover and move red and blue crosshairs back to there posistions on top of green. Crosshair should be white and enjoy your television again. PS: Only a technician can replace the fluid if that is whats needed, Call your service provider for this procedure..

Hope this helps you;;;
[email protected]

Thank You so much for the information. I was JUST looking at a post for a Philips Magnavox that had to have it's coolant changed. I'll look for the crystalized spots in the green crt then try those dials. Some guy online was able to change the coolant in the crt but he said he had a hard time to re-align the CRTs, so I am going to call a TV Service Company and have then change it. Thanks Again,

Nick
NTL1991

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 4:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Guest

I took the rear cover off and looked in the lenses and found that the blue looked like a mountain range with particles big and small stuck all around (see picture here, sorry for the quality. Those black things are the crystlized particles) The green has about 8 black/brown particles and the red has about 10. Im going to call the TV Repair Man later... How long should the process take and how much would it cost to get all three coolants changed?

Thanks for your help,

Nick
NTL1991

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I called two local TV Repair Shops and I got an estimate of $300 from both for all three CRTs... Plus $75/$85 for the house call. I think I am going to take the route of doing it myself after I learn a little about how to do so.

Thanks
Nick
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия