electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Broke A Capacitor Off Graphics Card, Need Advice Please.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smarty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 5:54 pm    Post subject: Broke A Capacitor Off Graphics Card, Need Advice Please. Reply with quote

I was trying to remove my Nvidia 7800GT computer graphics card today and accidentally broke a capacitor off the board. I took the card out and had a look then I refitted the card, everything appears to be working fine and I have ran several stress tests like 3D mark etc and it is performing as it should, it is also working fine in games. The capacitor that came off was a surface mount 100UF electrolytic capacitor, I really do not know how to re-solder this as there is no room to work with whatsover. However if you look at the pictures in the links (second one) it looks like the board was designed to take either a surface mount or a through-hole radial mount capacitor. I was thinking of buying a 100UF radial mount electrolytic capacitor to fit to the board, the only problem is that I do not have a clue what voltage the capacitor is. Does anybody have any idea please? The card is pretty expensive, as if it was a cheap one I would probably not be as bothered.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/wokeye/PICT40145.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/wokeye/PICT4016.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v495/wokeye/PICT4022.jpg

Last edited by smarty on Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:43 pm; edited 2 times in total

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The links to the pictures say that the image is no longer there. I guess it may be supplied by the 12 volt rail, in which case a 16 volt capacitor may be O.K. What voltage do you measure?
smarty

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I have updated the links they are working now. I have not measured the voltage as I have not got a voltmeter, although I could borrow one from work. Probably the best way. Take a look at the pics anyway, they work now Embarassed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dEAR sMARTY

The part is either "decoupling" the voltage line or just smoothing the 12volt rail or 5 volt.So what i'm trying to say is that you do not need to replaced that
cap. Laughing
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
dEAR sMARTY

The part is either "decoupling" the voltage line or just smoothing the 12volt rail or 5 volt.So what i'm trying to say is that you do not need to replaced that
cap. Laughing

Correct, it is more likely a smoothing cap & proly be ok to leave off.

Looking at the picture of the cap, appears that you may still be able to solder it back in? (there are still legs/tabs left on the cap?). Have seen surface mounts simply fall off the boards mainly due to improper soldering from factory & this may be one. as long as the tabs are intact, it is easy to resolder

The black band is negative.
smarty

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the legs are still intact on the bottom of the capacitor, but there is next to no room to get a soldering iron in as the legs are very short and bent at right angles to the capacitors base. I am not to clued up this, is some special type of soldering iron needed to re-solder such parts when the space to work in is next to nothing. That is why I mentioned a radial mount capacitor instead. But as stated I am no expert Rolling Eyes
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is no problem using radial mount. As far as the short legs, you need to have a small tip soldering iron & the way to do it is to apply a bit of solder flux on the traces & simply lay the cap back on the trace . You can reflow the solder by carefully touching the pad right up to the tiny leg of the capacitor. (Part of my daily job).
smarty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help there is no way that I can re-solder the surface mount capacitor as there is not enough room. I have measured the voltage and it is 12V. Yet this is DC the reading was just rubbish on AC, I do not know how a computer works. So I am looking for a 12V through board capacitor then?
smarty

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A 12V 100UF radial mount capacitor I meant. Or can you not get a 12V should I get a 16V.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Broke A Capacitor Off Graphics Card, Need Advice Please. Reply with quote

If normally 12v at this location then you would fit a 100uf 16v 105deg radial subminiture electrolytic capacitor observing the polarity.
The next size up would be 25v and would work just as well be physically may be a bit large.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия