electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Please help, advice needed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 11:01 pm    Post subject: Please help, advice needed Reply with quote

Could someone please help me? three days ago my RCA 52' model#p52812bl went out and started making a chirping noise, after reading up a little, I found the problem to be the Horizontal Output, but now my Mitsubishi model#v5-4544 is having a similar problem, they were plugged into the same surge protector(not at the same time), Is there a problem with the protector or just a strange coincidence? 2 big screens in 4 days is a little hard to handle, if anybody could lend me some expertice it would be greatly appreciated.
ThrushGazookkZap

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Big screen tv's,in general. Reply with quote

I thought i hit a GOLD MINE one day-I looked outside in the a.m.,thought i was hallucinating...but not.There was a brand new-looking Philips 50p8341 largescreen projection at our townhouses refuse dumpsters side.I shot outside to look-and there it was-totally intact,a bit of snow atop Confused We brought it in and let it dry out.Of course i knew 'something' was wrong with it.I had the cradle out and dewired before i even ATTEMPTED to power it up.Found 2 blown fuses in the power supply.Then i knew......that i had inherited someones nightmare.You can buy a brand new 50"philips @ wal-mart for 1,300$including tax-they'll wheel the darn thing out the door for ya-load it on to your pickup-and ciao'
Didn't take me long to find a few problems,both in the power supply circuit-and the flyback circuit,(which-i might add,has a surge device built right in,crispy..but built right in)."Part store"online has LOTS of components,for many makes.Punched in my set's info-and there were 320 parts found-staring back at me.the arrestor,was found-no problem.then this reeeeely special chip in the flyback circuit-c'mon(anyone whose found themselves in this similar situation)guys-you know the chip.....it's....TOP221P!!!!!!and it is NOT available in ANY store,Mouser,allied,Newark,Digikey-and it is LISTED-in those 320 parts aforementioned,it IS a Philips part,very special,has it's own power supply,mind of it's own-with a little borrowed i/p power,and a switching source for the flyback xmfr.And Philips has a restock date of 2015(obviously meaning they wanted not to commit to a date).I learned a few rotten things from this experience.There IS a way to cure this problem.Buy the whole circuit board for 500 bucks-and pray the same circuit doesn't burn in a nanosecond from energization.They MAKE a cross-referenced part at mouser,but...it's not exactly the same..this isn't a 75' firebird.We're talking precision' electronics here.IT NEEDS TO BE EXACTLY THE SAME!!!!Well..what to do...buy a fryable 500$ replacement,or go to wal mart-spend seven-eight hundred,have a new set-which is probably what the other guy did.maybe wait til 2015 and spend 10 bucks on the replacement..Hmmmmm.LOOK.The MORAL of this little tale is to unleash a few things to the people who had nothing to do for the last few minutes and read my stupid story.TRUE..but stupid.The manufacturers of these sets had planned LONG ago what they were doing,how they were doing it,and how not to laugh at a consumer about to dump 2 grand into a fishbowl.These sets are 'mildly'limited-upgraded minimally from a 27' counterpart,just enough to get the job done.I've run some numbers in terms of INRUSH(full load amperage),and even in general circuit design.Some of the circuits are at a Constant-95-97%component limit.1 watt resistors in a 1 watt circuit...at IDLE.And KEY factory components to BLOW at Surgences as low as MICROwatts.Put that in your pipe and smoke it.But before you light up,one more thing.these components which are targetted for microwatt failure,are not fuses,Links,OR insurgence protectors.They are key semiconductors.IC's(like in the flyback circuit).It was a BONUS that the set I have found blew fuses.It took a complete meltdown to do it-but you will not find blown fuses as a typicality,even in a complete dormant state.it will be components that fail.And ,this set was made in '03.They have made the availability of the INTEGRAL component needed 'UN-available.The fact is-they should call them large screen TIME-BOMBS.They are not meant to have a 20year lifespan.NOT with these circuit designs.It took GENIUSES to build them to destroy themselves,and not do it on the showroom floor,to CONTROL time,they have made parts unavailable-in 2 year form.
Obviously,all largescreens are not the same-built the same-or set to detonate at the same time.Your best bet,if you want to keep yours alive as long as possible,is to buy a 'UPS"Uninterruptable power supply",which has about the best surge/spike protection,and will not allow the circuits inside your fish-bowl,to see FLA-when the power "browns"and circuits inside become PARTIALLY de-energized,to ramp up-overcurrent-and poof.The UPS will protect from this,Giving you the longest life possible.Since this experience from finding this TV,I have personally SEEN 2 others out to dry(right near a dumpster,and one with a sign"Broken,FREE".Have inquired and heard of FOUR more.They want you to progress to the next technology,Large LCD..or Plasma,or a brand new FISHBOWL,all with a large pricetag,and a built in fuse to light your brand new bomb.Just plug it in.How long is your fuse.!?? Evil or Very Mad
jwr1057

PostPosted: Sun Jan 22, 2006 5:40 am    Post subject: parts availability Reply with quote

You need to look at the"Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act...".
Civil Code Section 1793.03(B) of the Business & Professional Code, section 9801(H), (I), (J) or (K).
In a nutshell it states that the maker of an item MUST supply Service Literature & Parts for 7 Years from date the model was made.
Its the law! Don't let them give you some lame excuse why they don't have to, they do!!! (Over the years, I've gotten for free, 2 Ghetto Blasters, 2 VCR's, etc.)
Call Philips consumer affairs dept. and hit them with that little tid-bit and "watch them" crap their collective drawers!
If you need any more info, I'm John; [email protected] or [email protected]
I've been an Electronic Technician for over 35 years. I did warranty repairs on some 40 makes of PTV's, TV's, VCR's, stereo', etc. over that time and have attended over 50 Factory Training Classes for Sony, Philips (Magnavox, Sylvania, Philco, etc.), RCA, Zenith, Toshiba, etc.
I was even one of the first 18 people Magnavox trained in the western US for the 1st Video Disc Player (VH8000) back in 1980!
I have a weird problem with the same chassis (PTV914), I'm guessing yours is also. I ordered a Service Manual on CD-ROM and its in transit now.
Have fun! John W, Russo, Santa Maria, CA

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2006 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Please help, advice needed Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
Could someone please help me? three days ago my RCA 52' model#p52812bl went out and started making a chirping noise, after reading up a little, I found the problem to be the Horizontal Output, but now my Mitsubishi model#v5-4544 is having a similar problem, they were plugged into the same surge protector(not at the same time), Is there a problem with the protector or just a strange coincidence? 2 big screens in 4 days is a little hard to handle, if anybody could lend me some expertice it would be greatly appreciated.

Hello,
I have the same tv as you and have the same problem. Did you ever figure out how to fix it or if it was even worth fixing?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия