electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Zenith PVY4665DT questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:42 am    Post subject: Zenith PVY4665DT questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

Someone I know is selling a Zenith 50" rear projection TV, model PVY4665DT for just $50. He said it works fine but the convergence is off, and he doesn't have the remote control to adjust it. He said his friend gave the TV to him awhile back and set up the convergence manually by taking the back off the TV and manually adjusting the controls for it. It worked great, but recently this guy moved it to a different room and the convergence got off again (apparently the guns can get misaligned when moved?).

So he doesn't have the remote but $50 is a steal, assuming I could manually perform the convergence adjustment. Does anyone have any knowledge about this type of thing? I've been researching on the net and it seems like its a pretty standard thing to do, although repeated/permanent convergence issues can be caused by several things, most commonly some faulty resistors on the board. These are supposed to be a relatively easy replacement - just unsolder the bad ones and resolder the new ones.

Can anyone advise me about performing the convergence adjustment manually, or about other issues to be concerned with? Also, is it possible to get an OEM Zenith replacement remote for this? If not, can I get a generic programmable remote for general functionality (channels, volume, etc), even if it doesn't allow for convergence adjustment?

Thanks for the help all!

Jesse

PostPosted: Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Projector TV with convergence out Reply with quote

I spent a along time repairing a 40" projector TV that I was given also. Most good units I believe will generate a test pattern to help you perform the convergence alignment. Be sure this unit does this or you will need a test generator. There is always a set procedure you have to follow to get good results. There is normal quite a few potentiometers to adjust many variables(pin cushion, top and bottom alignment, focus, trapezoid . The test pattern you need most is a white grid. Performing convergence, involves turning off two of the guns and getting a uniform grid on one colour only, then adding the other colours to get pure white lines. Adjustment can be difficult to get perfect.
If you don't have a service manual that shows this procedure, I would say that the changes of you just having a play and getting it right are slim. Still for the price you have mentioned, it may be worth a try. good luck.
eltech64

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: $50 zenith Reply with quote

Not to be the fly in the ointment, but there's a good reason Zenith no longer makes PTV's. That's a set you couldn't give me $50 to haul away. Leave that one where you found it, for your own sake. Seriously.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really? What's your reasoning, I'm a total RPTV newb... Thanks!

Jesse
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия