electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Toshiba 32AFX61 Shuts of suddenly, red light blinks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hairrell

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Toshiba 32AFX61 Shuts of suddenly, red light blinks Reply with quote

My 5-year old Toshiba 32AFX61 has had a couple of problems which may or may not be related. For some time, and with increasing frequency, the TV flashes briefly, then shuts itself off shortly thereafter, usually accompanied by something which sounds like a relay. At this point, a red light blinks by the power switch on the front panel and we must unplug the set for a moment before we can turn it back on. Generally speaking, this occurs within the first 10-15 minutes after turning on the set. When powering the TV back on, I notice there's a light blue screen with widely spaced zigzag white horizontal lines.

My understanding is that the TV is shutting itself off due to short circuit protection. If that's the case, is it dangerous to continue using it in its current state?

I saw a post about a Philips TV with identical symptoms which resulted from a bad 10W resistor on, as I recall, the CRT board. My Toshiba TV has a Philips tube in it, but apparently the electronics are different because there was no resistor with the same number on the circuit board, nor did I see any 10W resistors anywhere.

A second set of symptoms has stopped for about the last week, but had been common in the month prior to that. The TV experiences color shifts, usually to green. This starts as a general loss of contrast, then proceeds to a full color shift, that is, unless we turn off the TV briefly. Like the sudden power offs, this occurs most commonly in the first 15 minutes of viewing. When the color shifts, we are able to restore it by tapping the neck of the picture tube with a wooden spoon. I had read somewhere that the color shifts might be caused by shorts resulting from a bit of loose solder which might be helped by placing the set face-down on a pad while tapping the neck of the tube. I did this a couple of days ago, hoping that this might also affect the shut-off issues, but there has been no discernable effect.

Any ideas, anyone? Is it worth the likely cost of a repair? Based on these symptoms, I've been told by a local repairman that the tube is going and that I should pitch the set.
gary

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a common fault with any set fitted with a philips crt is intermitent short circuit within the crt itself, the symptoms you describe are perfect for this diagnosis, the local repairman is probably right to suggest ditching the set.
minnie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chech r216 10k ohm to see if it's burnt. If so you need to replace the resistor and flyback. Most common problem. Don't forget the obvious. Is the horizontal out put transistor good? Q501 pin 12 is your +5vdc, pin 40 is 9vdc, as pin 46.
hairrell

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 5:51 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestion Minnie. I'll check it out tonight. Maybe there's still hope.
mickstoller

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Toshiba red blinking indicator light Reply with quote

To my surprise I have found this post acurately describing the symptons displayed by my 5-year old Toshiba.

However, in my case, the set does not power on but displays the flashing red light. No change for the past three days.

From the reply string above, it appears time to pitch the set. Before I do, I'll wait to see if there is any additional comments. I am not competent to check resistors on the mother board.

------ Mike

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

>Is the horizontal out put transistor good?

Hi Minnie: I just got one of these sets, but the HOT was open (no other damage). Replaced the HOT and it immediately blew the 2A fuse on the 134V line. Took out the HOT and it was shorted.

Checked the output of the FBT and nothing is loading it down, so I wonder if you know of a way to check the FBT without a ringer?

Thanks, Tedd
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. You can look at the diode on the 134v line and measure both sides to ground. (With the set off) If you have no short I'd replace the fly and hot.
Hoss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 1:46 am    Post subject: please continue with this topic Reply with quote

I came looking to find out if there was a common fix to the problem my Toshiba is having. To my surprise you describe the exact same problem. However I don't have any picture come up... the tv sounds like it powers on then immediately off while the light on the front on switch stays on for a while and then occasionally flashes.

I opened up the back but all I did was double check connections etc.

Again what would the repair on this cost approx.... I live in Canada so estimating in US dollars is fine.

Should I pitch the TV as you guys state???
H3liax

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re:Toshiba 32AFX61 shuts of suddenly,red light blinks Reply with quote

minnie wrote:
Not really. You can look at the diode on the 134v line and measure both sides to ground. (With the set off) If you have no short I'd replace the fly and hot.

Hii minnie....
I guess you have many experience whit tv.... Very Happy
Do you have solution whit my toshiba 519S9JK what have no picture ??? when I sw on the rainbow color appears at the right of the top corrner ???...
thank's everyone....

e-mail : [email protected]
tellyman

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2007 2:16 pm    Post subject: five year old toshiba Reply with quote

the colour shifts are 99.9%due to a faulty w76esf philips crt.crt short removers usully do nothing for these tubes,there are other ways,maybe you could "float"the heaters to extend use by a while,but best to tip it.tap the tube neck lightly with say,a wooden screwdriver handle,and see if this instigates the fault to confirm...steve.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия