electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Combining mixer outputs

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lonman

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Combining mixer outputs Reply with quote

I have been running a mixer for live bands & karaoke for years combining the left & right output of my mixer with a y-connector into 1 channel for a mono system. I have never had any problems with any system I have done this with, but someone told me last week that I was looking to blow my mixer & or amps up because I am basically shorting the outputs together.
What are the drawbacks & what would I need to do to combine these outputs safely, again, i've never had any problems doing this but I don't want any chances either knowing there is a possibility of damaging my equipment.

Thanks...
Externet

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2004 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.
As of burning the outputs maybe not; but that is not the way to do the mixing into monophonic.
The way to combine multiple signals into one single channel is using the panoramic potentiometer 'panpot' by routing all channels to the same output.
Miguel
tomfoxe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Miguel. if your mixer has PAN controls just turn all of them to the same end so your channels all combine and are fed to the Left or Right output, then feed your power amp from this output only. If it is not a powered mixer then joining the 2 signals together as you have been doing will NOT short anything or blow your mixer up, but it's likely to weaken the signal and add noise, because you're putting 3 connections in the signal paths. Certainly if it is a powered mixer don't try to join the speaker outputs together, that could burn up your power amps. My suggestion would be as follows:Wire your rig up as usual, then with no input signals into any channels, turn all channel controls up full, also turn your power amp up full volume, and listen to the noise coming out of your speakers. Then turn down the volumes, disconnect your Y connector, and follow Miguel's advice. Turn all volumes up full again and listen to your speakers. I'm willing to bet the noise level is noticeably less. If you use a jack lead then be sure it is a really good one, it's worth spending £15-20 or more to give you the best possible signal transfer and reliability. Tom
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия