electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
JVC Kaboom Cassette Player problem (RVB90)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ijhutch

PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: JVC Kaboom Cassette Player problem (RVB90) Reply with quote

I have an older JVC Kaboom box (RVB90) and the cassette/tape player keeps breaking. I rarely use the cassette player (like maybe once or twice a year), but it seems to break about once every two years. Last repair was $100 and it's getting more than annoying. The box takes little or no abuse, btw, and is mostly inside my home office.

The CD and Tuner work fine.

After plugging the unit in and hitting CD, Tape, or Tuner buttons, 4-5 loud clicks are heard from the tape deck over maybe 1.5 seconds (regardless of whether there is a tape in there or not). What happens during this time is the tape transport mechanism (which contains the autoreverse head and the pinch rollers on either side) moves upward into the engaged position--this drives a mechanical pin (plastic piece) into a hole that is connected to the cassette holder, forcing it to stay closed. [I was able to see this by removing the cassette door which connects to the cassette holder and going through the startup sequence.] I can manually push the transport mechanism back down, which disengages the pin/lockout and open the door.

Even with a quality cassette tape in place, the same thing occurs.

Further weirdness is that the power-on is only good once. In other words, power on and you can switch between CD and Tuner to your heart's content, but as soon as you power OFF, the unit will no longer respond to commands (no power on, no CD, no Tuner)--I have to unplug and re-plug it in (more annoyance).

Can anyone help? If this is a Do-It-Yourself (DIY) job, I'd love to learn how to fix this. I called JVC and they have no parts or service manuals available. I saw an advertisement for a service manual for this ($15), but I don't know if it would help or not in determining and fixing this problem.

Thanks.

* ijhutch *

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On mine I seem to have a different but similar problem. I can turn the unit on with the remote and then I have one, and one only, chance to choose if I want AUX, DISK or TAPE. I can press all the remote buttons repeatedly but nothing happens. I have done some troubleshooting and discovered that if I use a long screwdriver and depress an arm on the side of the cassette mechanism that the unit will respond correctly to the remote but when I let the arm go the remote no longer responds. I now have to remove the cases so that I can find out exactly what that arm does and decide how I can fix it. Even if I lose the use of the cassette by fixing the arm in place then at least I can use the rest of the unit with no problems as I don't use the cassette much anyway. I sure would like to get more info about that manual you mentioned and if you send me your email address I can send a pic of my Kaboom all in pieces showing the problem I have with mine.

Vic
jts1957

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://elektrotanya.com/jvc_rv-b90gyu.pdf/download.html
Pentode

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually the cam what drives the heads round causes this problem, it could also be caused by faulty drive belts.

These are the two most common problems with auto-reverse. Remember you are not pulling the tape out to turn it round so it plays the other track.... you have to reverse the heads to do it for you, notice the tape traveling in the opposite direction when reversed.

Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия