electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Repairing Laptop Ac Power Cord.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SporkRocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 7:26 pm    Post subject: Repairing Laptop Ac Power Cord. Reply with quote

This cord still technically works, It is detoriating in reliabilty. I have to bend and/or wiggle it to work. How it got to so this state I do not know. The replacement for the prick and that end is about 50 dollars from Toshiba. =/ I think some of the copper wires are some how damaged and was going to replace them or something. I don't know how to pop off the end in that picture also, so I can rewire the insides or what.

I was wondering how I might repair this? I have copper wire available, electric tape, and other tools and supplies that might help this.

I have nothing to lose if I fail to get this working as it isn't working correctly at the moment. If I do mess this cord up, I'll be forced to buy another cord. Which, I want to have as my last option.
minnie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a new end, cut the old end off and splice the center conductor then ground.
SporkRocker

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How might a find a new end? Radio shack or online? Could you point me to a site online if I can't find it retail?

Thanks for the reply.
kam

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had this problem myself. The wire was poorly soldered at the factory and became intermittent soon after use.

I could not find a new connector because it was unique to that manufacturer, I fixed it by using a sharp utility knife to slit the plastic on the connector lengthwise. Peel open and resolder the wire. Use instant super glue between the plastic jacket and the metal plug. Clamp the plastic together with a vise or visegrip for a few minutes. Use heatshrink or electrical tape to reinforce the plastic....has been working for a few years now.

Good luck
Kam
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия