electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
AKAI GX 620 noisy with some tapes

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RODALCO

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: AKAI GX 620 noisy with some tapes Reply with quote

Hi, I have an AKAI GX 620 reel to reel tapedeck.
Great machine and very reliable.
With certain brands of tapes i have sometimes a type of resonance developing near the erase head which is not a GX crystal head, when the take off reel is nearing the last 20 minutes of music.
It is more apparent at 19 cm / sec and with the 18 cm Ø reels than the 26.5 cm Ø.
I have cleaned everything regularly for dirt build up but doesn't seem to be the problem.
Also i tried some lubracting vaseline on the tape guides, which seems to reduce the problem a little but i'm not sure if it is good for the tape.
I'm considering attaching a lift up wheel underneath the erase head for playback so that the tape is only in contact with the playback head and it's guides, to keep it at a 90° angle.
Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem.
Gary Akai Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: what type of tapes? Reply with quote

Might be the tape is going bad. What brand of tape are you having trouble with? Some old Radio Shack and TDK were real junk.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия