electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
old tv, brightness drifting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tgx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: old tv, brightness drifting Reply with quote

hello all, I have this very old tv ,I guess ~25 years old, but it wasn't used much. Model number is HITACHI CEP-286.
The picture is still very good and easily beats the modern cheap crap you can buy everywhere. There is a small but annoying problem with my tv, and that is after turning it on, the brightness level is very high and picture looks washed out, and after about 5 minutes the picture is perfect. I have measured many voltages (such as screen, voltage on brightness pot etc.) and none of them seems to be drifting. Do you think I can do anything to fix this, or is my tube going weak? I really don't feel like throwing this tv away, unless there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it.
thanks!
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like a weak tube. If the picture comes in after 5 minutes, run it till it pukes. Hitachi and Mitt's made the damn best CRT sets. 25 years gives you your answer. It was made to last, but the time has come.
H3liax

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: old tv, brightness drifting Reply with quote

tgx wrote:
hello all, I have this very old tv ,I guess ~25 years old, but it wasn't used much. Model number is HITACHI CEP-286.
The picture is still very good and easily beats the modern cheap crap you can buy everywhere. There is a small but annoying problem with my tv, and that is after turning it on, the brightness level is very high and picture looks washed out, and after about 5 minutes the picture is perfect. I have measured many voltages (such as screen, voltage on brightness pot etc.) and none of them seems to be drifting. Do you think I can do anything to fix this, or is my tube going weak? I really don't feel like throwing this tv away, unless there is absolutely nothing I can do to fix it.
thanks!

Hii...tgx..
I wondering if you have to check the dryjoint at the socket for TUBE/CRT,HOT,all capacitor/elco nearby the FTB ?
mybe u can do this weak things ( but some times work for me )....

Wink
e-mail : [email protected]
tgx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: old tv, brightness drifting Reply with quote

H3liax wrote:

Hii...tgx..
I wondering if you have to check the dryjoint at the socket for TUBE/CRT,HOT,all capacitor/elco nearby the FTB ?
mybe u can do this weak things ( but some times work for me )....

Wink

Hi H3liax I resoldered all solder joints on the power/horizontal board before, I will also try resoldering the pins at the crt "neck" board, but I don't expect this will fix my problem.
cory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

check pins on flyback for poor solder connections.if ok there will be a capacitor near flyback for 200 volt source to crt.it will be rated at 250 volts,try changing it.
tgx

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cory wrote:
check pins on flyback for poor solder connections.if ok there will be a capacitor near flyback for 200 volt source to crt.it will be rated at 250 volts,try changing it.

I measured this voltage it is at 160Volts and does not drift. but thanks anyway Smile
Frank

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should replace most of the Electrolitic caps everywhere, get an ESR meter and check for dry caps ,
cory

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2007 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

160 volts right at capacitor is too low.should be 200.you can also measure this at crt neck board.right at connector.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия