electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Goodmans GTV69W SCREECHING

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PauldK

PostPosted: Sat Nov 27, 2004 12:43 pm    Post subject: Goodmans GTV69W SCREECHING Reply with quote

Hope somebody can help, My TV makes a screeching sound! it seems worse when any white images are displayed. The other day it only gave a "ticking" sound and wouldn't turn on at all, after about 15 minutes it finally fired up. It is worse when cold and seems to improve as it slowly warms up. looking at the chassis it appears to be around TR802 that the sound comes from but difficult to pin point.
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Atom

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never heard of a Goodmans TV, of course I've been out of the repair biz for about 5 years so maybe that's it, I don't know ...

.. who is the manufacturer?

pauldk

PostPosted: Sun Nov 28, 2004 3:41 pm    Post subject: GoodmansGTV 69W Reply with quote

Thanks for replying atom, yeah apparently goodmans "supply" a range of TV's, I've had a look around mine and can't see any other manufacturers details, but they are part of a larger group eg Alba etc, so it could be somethimg else but clearly labeled as a goodmans.
Its only 18months old and just out of warrenty, typical eh.
Atom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: GoodmansGTV 69W Reply with quote

pauldk wrote:
Thanks for replying atom, yeah apparently goodmans "supply" a range of TV's, I've had a look around mine and can't see any other manufacturers details, but they are part of a larger group eg Alba etc, so it could be somethimg else but clearly labeled as a goodmans.
Its only 18months old and just out of warrenty, typical eh.

You can tell who the manufacturer is by the UL or EIA code on the back. You'll need to aquire a, I believe it's a EIA list of manufactures. We used to refer to our list at the shop frequently, to know where to search in our schematic file cabinets to possibly find and use a schematic by the actual manufacturer (or a schematic with a chassis that was close enough), to work on sets that we didn't have the brand name schematic for.

As new EIA or UL numbers would appear on the backs of TV's and VCR's, we usually could visually identify and verify the chassis design as being by a certain manufacturer and add the new number to the manufacturer list under the proper name. (we could update the list ourselves in this way) The only time we couldn't do this of course, is if a new number appeared on the back of a set with an unfamiliar chassis design, or if a company merged with or was bought by another company and we didn't know about it... then it could be a bit confusing so we simply held off on making that particular association and adding it to the list until we could get a positive ID.

I'm not sure where you would get a list or where we got ours (ours was a rather old one), but I think I'll have a poke around the net looking for one, just for the heck of it. lol

Last edited by Atom on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Atom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh..... yeah the problem... right.. lol

The screeching sound may or may not be related to the no start condition that you experienced. It may be that you simply have a loose (core) or excessively noisy coil. The coil could be inherently noisy, in which case there's not much you can do about that, or it could be excessively noisy due to it being excited by an improper frequency, but usually the set either will have NP (no picture), or an obvious visual symptom on the screen, as well, if the latter is the case.

There is a secret I discovered several years ago to quieting coils with loose powdered iron cores, and that secret is regular super glue (not gel). It penetrates extremely narrow cracks quite well, and dries very quickly giving you an immediate indication of repair. The squealing will instantly stop when the liquified glue hits the exact area of vibration, and of course the glue curing only seconds later and permanently filling that gap with a slight pressure to each side, is a guarantee that it will stay stopped.

I should mention, that it is always best to apply the glue to the suspected area when the squealing is occurring, and you generally want to be applying it to a vertical or sharper than 45 deg (so that gravity will aid in proper penetration ... tip the set if you have to), visible joint, where two seperate sections of powdered iron join.

Last edited by Atom on Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:45 pm; edited 2 times in total
Atom

PostPosted: Mon Nov 29, 2004 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now sometimes you'll have a screeching noise that is a sign of excessive horizontal ripple from a dc supply that is allowed to enter a circuit that contains a coil/s with powdered iron cores, and the screeching will be the only symptom (not enough H ripple to prohibit start up, shut the set down, or cause a visual symptom on the screen), in which case you can simply check the sources for excessive ripple with an ocilloscope.

Pauldk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2004 10:51 am    Post subject: Goodmans TV Reply with quote

Wow thanks Atom for all the advice you have certainly given me a few points to check on, after your explaination and tip, I'm off to a DIY store for some super glue, certainly worth a try. I'll keep you informed how I get on, and again, thanks for your help and time on this.
Paul
euan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the goodmans tv is probably an "11AK37"

http://www.eserviceinfo.com/downloadsm/987/_11AK37.html
terry

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2005 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

according to an equivs list i have it is a vestel 11ak19 made in turkey

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Goodmans GTV69W SCREECHING Reply with quote

got the same prob only now its dead with just ticking noise and it's def ak 19
made in turkey any thoughts?
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия