electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Oiling moving parts in VCR good idea?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 4:37 pm    Post subject: Oiling moving parts in VCR good idea? Reply with quote

My VCR seems to be getting noisy - should I use a little WD 40 judicially on spindles etc?
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Wed Jul 18, 2007 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you could, but if you are going to do this, then spray the WD-40 on a q-tip and then rub it on the parts with the q-tip. This will prevent overspray which could possibly damage something else.

HtH
[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGelsman

Thanks for your response and advice.
I've just thought re keeping VCRs going - are different models basically the same re heads, belt drives etc. so that I could replace parts in my old good Sharp model with parts from a newer Thomson model which now only shows 'ERR' in the display on PLAY. FF and REW.

I suspect this could be caused by something which could be fixed easily - any ideas please.
Thanks
daa

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh I see that I didn't login so I was 'Guest' on my reply to PGelsman.

Just to add that my further query perhaps should be in another Topic?
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beware of WD-40! This is a good protective oil against corrosion and moisture , but it is absolutely useless for lubricating moving parts. The problem with WD-40 is that is dries to a kind of wax during time.

If you absolutely want to use a spray oil, then for instance CRC 5-56 is a better choice. But i prefer using a light mineral oil from an ordinary oil can. For instance, ATF oil (for automatic transmissions) or some light hydraulic oils work well.

When lubricating sintered self-lube bushings (for instance, capstan bearings of VCRs), it is a good idea to apply much oil from the beginning and then wait a few hours before wiping off the superfluous oil. If the shaft can be pulled out of the bearing and the inside of the bushing cleaned, this is good too.
Capstan bearings are always subjected to thrust from the pressure roller and they wear out only on one side, this will cause the capstan to slope away from the pressure roller which is no good for the tape transport alignment. If it is possible to turn the bearing (often is if located in a flange with three fixing holes, so it can be turned 1/3 turn and mounted in a new position), so do this when the bearing begins to have noticable free play.
daa

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

torbjorn

Thanks for that pertinent advice - I'm glad to have waited before getting inside my VCR (been very busy) so I can check the bearings etc. as well.
I didn't know about the waxy residue from dried WD-40.
andycoranna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:11 pm    Post subject: Err in display. Reply with quote

[quote="Anonymous"]PGelsman
Remove the deck, clean the rotary mode swith contacts, carefully unclip it apart, remove all the grease, clean the contact surfaces, reassemble.
Thanks for your response and advice.
I've just thought re keeping VCRs going - are different models basically the same re heads, belt drives etc. so that I could replace parts in my old good Sharp model with parts from a newer Thomson model which now only shows 'ERR' in the display on PLAY. FF and REW.

I suspect this could be caused by something which could be fixed easily - any ideas please.
Thanks[/quote]
andycoranna

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2007 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Oiling moving parts in VCR good idea? Reply with quote

daa wrote:
My VCR seems to be getting noisy - should I use a little WD 40 judicially on spindles etc?

Never, never use anyform of lube on any of the tape path area, Certainly, remove the reel tables, and a tiny drop of oil at the bearing surface,normally quietens a noisy machine up, especially on ff and rewind.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия