electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
How to measure decibels

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mandarcy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: How to measure decibels Reply with quote

Hello,

I'm an enthusiast trying to get deeper into electroncics and as a personal project I've been restoring an old keyboard that wasn't working. I now have sound and everything seems okay. Now it just needs calibrating. I have the service manual and I'm okay with all the steps apart from the last one.

It says I need to measure and trim the output of a particalur op-amp until it is at -23db. What I'm confused about is how do I measure decibels in this way? And, what with?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Regards,
Dave.
vtech

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general db measurement is used as a logaritmic unit in describing the ratio between in/out signals. In other words -23db is meant to show the relative gain of that stage--(actually a loss in this case) Most often, db is used in calibration along with some sort of a reference signal (ie signal generator) for measuremant purposes & can get rather confusing for the untrained. Suggest doing a search & read about it.

However, in real world there are "cheat sheats" used all the time. Look at the db chart on the bottom of this page as a reference where you can use the voltage ratios for relative measurements

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decibel

Also, I will tell you that in "repair world", going exactly by the book is not always necessary or time efficient.
mandarcy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi vtech

thanks for the reply. It makes more sense to me now! I'd only ever thought of decibels as a measure of sound before now which is why I was confused about it. This is the first time I've come across it as a way for measuring voltages. (I'm new to tronics Wink )

Thanks again,
Kind Regards,
Dave.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия