electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Electronic Oil Gauge

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ganck

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Electronic Oil Gauge Reply with quote

I am electronic newbie and has general knowledge in electronics component and microcontroller.
I have an old Nissan Sunny car which the oil gauge is not functioning and I could not find a new for replacement. I am thinking of develop a LED display to indicate the oil level to replace the faulty gauge.
My idea is use one LED to represent a level of oil, i.e. if I have 2 LEDs on, it means I have 2 level of oil left in the tank.
I know how the typical oil gauge works, the detector is using resistant, with the change of resistant, the amount of current flow to the gauge is changed and that change the gauge pointer.
I read that LM3915 can be used to control the LED behavior which base on the input of the current to this controller. Can someone kindly show me how to do this?
Thank you so much.
minnie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not buy a after market oil gauge?
ganck

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My car was manufactured in 1985. I tried few mechanic shops around my area but couldn't find one, not even a second hand. Pretty old car, not a single manufacturer here in Malaysia produce that. I just like this car and want to maintain it as the other parts create no problem.
minnie

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.breakeryard.com/cars/make/Nissan/Sunny.aspx
wolfdogg

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can replace the oil pressure or temperature sending unit, and send the signal to a new oil pressure guage as suggested, or is it oil temperature? this can be done to any car. also, theres alot of threaded "plugs" on engines, ayou might check to see if one of those plugs is in the oil chamber that runs thru the motor,l where you can place an alternate sending unit there (universal threads so anyone can be adapred to screw in here from an autoparts dealer)

and something my own dad always tells me, GET THE REPAIR MANUAL for the car, it will always help you. the manual may contain a place where you can connect a sending unit. Personally i think its alot of work to repair that faulty circuit which is probably just an "idiot" light, where a guage will be much more accurate and reliable.

i never heard of a "level" guage for oil, just a pressure warning indicating either your starting you car in sub-zero arctic and had better warm up the oil before starting the car, (doubtful) or that your already too low on oil. An oil pressure guage is usually just for reassurance and tells if you lost your oil pan on the freeway which means your already screwed anyway.

i would opt for a replacement guage mounted somewhere under teh dash, with a RED "idiot light" led to scream bright if teh pressure drops to dangerous levels.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия