electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Philips PM3055 won't power up / buzzing sound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VirusCrazy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Philips PM3055 won't power up / buzzing sound Reply with quote

Hi,

I've got an old Philips PM3055 scope that I've used a few month. Recently, as I had to move, I left it unused for around 3-4 month and now, it won't powers up. It makes a buzzing sound and this sound seems to come from the main power supply unit. It already did that before but after a few day of non-use and it was working after.

Now, it will only power if I disconnect some boards of the scope.

Do you know where does this come from ? Capacitors ? Tranformer ? ??

Any help would be greatfull.

Regards, Jerome
Mr Walker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 8:30 am    Post subject: Old scope won,t power up Reply with quote

Usually transformers make buzzing sound- but really, anything in your scope or power supply could be to blame- if you are not capable of diagnosing/fixing faults safely, may I suggest that you find a capable repairer?.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm capable of diagnosing faults as I do that in tvs and other electrical equipment. I was just wondering if someone had this fault as it is a switching power supply and there is a lot of capacitors in it. I don't want to spend 1 month searching for an potential common fault on this scope.

If I don't have any replies which can help me, then I will start to diagnose more deeply.

Regards, Jerome
torbjorn

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In older Philips equipment, it is very common that the blue axial electrolytic capacitors get bad. Usually they fail short circuit but when subjected to higher temperatures they may also get high losses and low capacitance.
The older ones with a beige or white rubber plug at the positive terminal seem to be worse than the newer ones with black rubber.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Thanks for the information. I'm gonna list all the capacitors and exchange them. I think it's just that they are too old and they have done their time. I will let you know.

Thanks again, Jerome
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия