electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
FM radio reception poor - suggestions?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mover2100

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: FM radio reception poor - suggestions? Reply with quote

Hi, it seems Seattle is bad for my home stereo radio reception. I hope this is not too simple a ? for this forum.

I have an Onyko TX-V940 amp/tuner for listening to AM/FM radio stations at home.

Before moving here I always used the wire antenna that came w/ it for radio stations.

I tried splitting off my Comcast TV cable system (thru a UHF/VHF/FM amplifier/splitter) to a doohickey that converts coaxial cable to screws. I know the amplifier works cause I used it on my TV & cable still comes thru.

I took wire from the coaxial converter (I used simple speaker wire cause that was handy) from that to stick into the FM wire reception in the back of my tuner.

But got no FM radio reception.

Can TV cable no longer be used for FM radio reception? Do I need some different kind of converter/wire?

Is there some other way to boost radio reception?

Thanx in advance for any suggestions. I tried a search on some keywords but couldn't seem to find any questions like this.
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2007 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are simply too far away or somehow located within a shallow canyon,(very unlikely no doubt), there is no reason why you could not simply use a standard wire or even the standard "T" wire.

Most of your cable systems have been moving up in freq. spectrum, however you should still be able to utilize the cable wiring as FM ANT. . Are you getting ANY reception at all? FM or even AM? Is it possible to just try another radio just to make sure that Receiver has not developed some sort of a problem with the tuner?

Short of a trial/error w/ wiring , to the best of my knowledge, outside antenna is the only sure way to go but usually it is too much of a hassle to deal with.
mover2100

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get some reception, but it's week

There's a lot of hills in Seattle, but I'm on the top floor of a house on a hill real close to Puget Sound
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия