electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
LG DR175 DVD Recorder

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westdorset

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:09 am    Post subject: LG DR175 DVD Recorder Reply with quote

Hi all,
I have spent ages using the search function on the forum so fairly sure this hasn't cropped up before.

I have a problem with my DVD Recorder and wondered if anyone could shed some light!

It is not dead but nothing works apart from the standby operation. If i switch it on it displays 'hello' that scrolls across the screen but that's it! Won't even open the dvd tray. I can't find anything obviously wrong in terms of missing V+ from the internal psu, they all appear to be present.

One thing i did notice is that the fan used to cool the psu sounds as if it is possibly laboured. the 12V supply is fine so maybe just my imagination. I also noticed that after about 2 minutes it powers down and fires back up again (I can hear the gentle whine of the smps transformer as it powers up).
There is an ic on the psu which is an ice3b1565j. I think it is this:
Off-Line SMPS Current Mode
Controller with integrated 650V
Startup Cell/Depletion CoolMOS

I believe this ic makes the unit draw minimal power when not in use.

I may be well of the mark here but could this possibly be my problem? Or better still, is this a stock fault?

Many thx for any help you can offer
jerk-off

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:34 am    Post subject: dvd us Reply with quote

dvd players & recorders(not to mention cd) are among the most unreliable equipment ever foisted on an unsuspecting public(suckers)- generally we check out components in p/s, usually electros- but if you have all rails, the prob can be in laser, or spin motor/drive, or usually if you have got this far, the logic board- r/p is the only option here(if available,at reasonable cost!). Really, if buying this type of crap, get extended warranty!. I don't have probs with quality equip- like record players, early vcr,s!.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't a drive problem but as you say more probably a logic one. But am trying to rule out the psu or a common fault that someone may have seen before.
Can anyone offer any info re the ic, or this problem in general? thx
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not familiar with the model in question, but I can tell you from experience dealing with other brands (philips, samsung, panasonic..etc) , the entire initial operation is based on sort of a "handshake" signal .

Meaning that if/when powered up, there will be an initial signal/pulse that must be acknowledged between ALL sections before unit will become operational. This makes it rather difficult to pinpoint.

As in example, I have seen it in Samsung BlueRay machines where a defect in motor drive section of the mechanism, will simply prevent the unit from powering up all together which can happen in ANY brand.(most mechs are replaced as units) So it would be handy to have a working unit handy which is not always the case.

Tip: one way to help in determining mechanism fault is to manually open the tray & plug the unit back in; if there tray closes right away, more than likely it is NOT a drive problem--- based on experience & not always the case.
westdorset

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vtech for your reply.
Interesting to know. yes it does close the tray when switched on. i opened it using the small hole on the drive that is used for jams etc.

Your theory sound as though that is indeed what is happening, so is going to be difficult to repair.
A shame really as the guy i got it off only used it twice then it developed this fault. Rather that get it repaired under warranty he bought a new one.

Never mind.

Thanks for reply though much appreciated
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия