electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Mag 810FD too bright

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rsk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Mag 810FD too bright Reply with quote

A hand-me-down from a friend. The monitor is too bright and adjusting brightness and contrast can't offset the brightness enough. None of the controls do enough to help it.

As the tube warms up it goes through a nice brightness level, but goes right on to too-bright.

Also, there are strange light lines crossing horizontally every half inch to inch, following a scan pattern. Those aren't visible at the nice brightness level it passes through on warm-up.

Is there some potentiometer I can turn to lower the brightness?
Larry E

PostPosted: Thu Mar 03, 2005 11:56 pm    Post subject: re; too bright Reply with quote

Hi, try turning the "screen control" counter clockwise a little, I
don`t work on monitors so I`m not sure where it would be located,
on tv`s it`s attatched to the flyback transformer (don`t turn the focus
control by mistake) might be a pot on the crt board may be marked
"G2" instead of "screen" good luck, Larry E
Larry E

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 12:15 am    Post subject: re; too bright Reply with quote

Hi, try turning the "screen control" counter clockwise a little, I
don`t work on monitors so I`m not sure where it would be located,
on tv`s it`s attatched to the flyback transformer (don`t turn the focus
control by mistake) might be a pot on the crt board may be marked
"G2" instead of "screen" good luck, Larry E

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: re; too bright Reply with quote

Yay! Much better!

Thank you very much, Larry, that did the trick. You win the "Thanks A Bunch Larry" award!

When I popped open the case a little three-legged component came flying out along with some chips of plastic. (Check out pics here: http://www.misinformation.org/~rkeller/mag_fix/ .) Apparently this monitor's been a little roughed up.

What do you make of the foil cracking?

With the monitor looking this much better, I'm encouraged to see if I can't fix its other problem: The horizontal convergence is off. I can get either the left or the right side lined up, but not both. Any ideas?

Thanks again, Larry, this makes my life much better.

RSK
mark

PostPosted: Sat Mar 05, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thats a transistor. if it were me I would look for where it came from.

look for a spot that has a missing transistor and confirm that it has indeed been removed from that location. i know thats easier said than done but I have seen some real winners remove proect circuit transistors to fix a set.

expecially since you had to reduce the screen. then again it may not even be a component from this monitor and it was just misadjusted.

my advice is to just be careful when dealing with any crt related item and components falling out. you could really get hurt.

remember that your anode (big wire that comes out of the flyback, where the screen control is) to the crt holds a charge for some time, and so fo capacitors.

but, good luck.
also, like Larry I dont work on monitors either, this is just how I approach the unknown.... carefully Smile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for posting this. I had the same problem and thought the monitor was just going bad. It looks great again!
rsk

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad it helped someone else.

I guess this shows that posting your problems and their solutions is a good thing to do.

RSK
fuzzychaos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 1:41 am    Post subject: 810FD Mag Innovision monitor too bright... Reply with quote

I adjusted the screen control on the 810FD to bring the brightness down but over time it keeps getting brighter and brighter (with the OSD box being very very bright). Now when I switch it on the display flashes all kinds of colours before shutting off in a bright ploom flash Shocked . If I keep turning the monitor off/on again it subsides. Perhaps there is some component on its way out. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
rsk

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 12:44 am    Post subject: maybe a bad idea Reply with quote

RADIATION

I'm just now realizing, a year after the monitor finally failed, that I may have been exposing myself to increased radition. I had a period of facial and forearm skin dryness and peeling. It started abating just recently, a year after I stopped using the monitor.

Some correlation there, so look out.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before adjusting the screen control you need to test that the B+ voltage is within spec.
The high voltage is set by the turns ratio of the line output transformer(fixed) and the input voltage into this transformer. (can vary)
If you don't have a high voltage meter capable of measuring 30 000 volts then you need to measure the B+. The screen volts is not an adjustment for the high voltage.
There should be protection circuits to shutdown the unit if the high voltage goes over a certain value, if those circuits are operating correctly.
It is the high voltage that causes the xray radiation so even turning the brightness down to a black screen will not change this.
A television is usually placed at the other side of the room to the person viewing it where a monitor has the viewer directly infront of it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия