electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
SA-DX1040 Technics Receiver switching to "Protected Mod

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarcS

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: SA-DX1040 Technics Receiver switching to "Protected Mod Reply with quote

Hi there,

My 6-year-old Technics receiver has recently developed a problem with
switching into protected mode (Overloaded appears on the display) after
being switched on for a few minutes. Now this model ran extremely hot
(couldn't even touch the top of the case) but this was apparently perfectly normal according to the people from Panasonic and other stuff I've read online. Unfortunately, I think the years of heat probably cooked something in there.

I've tried the following without success:
-Switch speakers from channel A to B
-Replace speaker wire
-Replace speakers and try channel A and B
-Turning off both channels off still make the receiver go into protected
mode
-Running the amp without speakers attached

Since I suspected that this issue might be heat related I replace the
fan at the back of the receiver (which only come on with the volume at %75) with a 80mm computer fan wired to a 12V plug-in power supply. To my surprise, the receiver did not go into protected mode the receiver and stayed cool to the touch. Although this work around enables me to use the receiver without any problems, I find it very annoying to have to plug in the fan every time I want to listen to music. Additional the vibration of the fan is audible when the audio is at low volume.

I though about bringing it in to a shop for repair but most shops want
$80 just to open the case...it gets more expensive from there. This is
probably not worth the money for a 6-year-old receiver.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and if anyone has the service manual for this model I would be very gratefull.

Cheers,

Marc Savage
mtman1020

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:14 am    Post subject: reply to sa-dx1040 ? Reply with quote

There is a convienience outlet in the back, if you plug the power supply into it, the fan will come on and go off with the unit....
mtman1020

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

also if you use a 8-9V power supply instead of 12V the fan would be much quieter...

Or you could use a duct and baffle setup if you really are concerned about the noise...
help me

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: ... Reply with quote

i have a problem with mines too.. some thing is wrong with my... keeps on saying overload... stoped working like 3 days ago... can you help me?
Pilsener

PostPosted: Thu Dec 20, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check if the speaker output has any DC voltage present when it shuts off.

Also check if all voltages in the PSU are present and within limits of value.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия