electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Dell M991 Monitor

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aviator19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Dell M991 Monitor Reply with quote

Symptoms of the monitor:
black screen.

When I get it to work, I have to let the computer sit at the lowest resolution setting for a while. And when it finally energizes, if I step up the resolution at all, it goes blank again unless I give it time to warm up before increasing resolution.

The color seems to be all over the place for the first 10 minutes or so after it starts displaying.

The monitior appears to display right away when the connected computer is restarting or otherwise not in Windows (showing the post boot screen, BIOS page, etc). But when it gets to Windows load up it goes blank.

If I didn't have multiple monitors set up I might have thought it was a computer problem at first. But the monitor acts the same way on all computers, which verifies it's the monitor.

So what might be the problem and possible componants to look at/replace?

I have basic electronics experience (took a course in the Navy, and before then I was already taking things apart, replacing fried resisters, lol. played with radios mostly) so I know enough to replace componants, but I only have a DMM for testing equipment available. I might be able to get access to an ocsilliscope if needed though. Schematics might help.

Thanks in advance
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a Dell P991 Parts & Service manual on my site at:
http://www.justmanuals.com/sony-dell-color-monitor-p991-chassis-parts-service-p-1880.html
$9.99 and instant download. 132 Pages, 15.5mb

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Aviator19

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So no one know's what might be possible causes?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Usually, such "cold starting problems" of electronic equipment are due to dried out electrolytic caps. As a bad electrolytic gets even worse when it's cold, it might happen that it gets enough low ESR and high capacitance for the circuitry to work when it's at working temperature.

Look for obviously bad caps (i.e. swollen tops of cans, shrunk or heat damaged plastic foil, signs of leakage). In particular, be suspicious to smaller caps (below 8 mm or 5/16" in diameter) that are located near hot parts.

You can also try heating and cooling (hair dryer / freeze spray) suspect caps while the monitor is working.
Aviator19

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks.

I did open up the monitor to take a look when it first started happening. I have not used the monitor since then becuse it obviously had a problem (and I didn't feel like waiting forever for it to be operational all the time).

Don't think I saw any caps that looked abnormal or leaking, but I'll take another look when I can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия