electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Amplifier Help

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sHep

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:46 am    Post subject: Amplifier Help Reply with quote

When i hooked up my stereo amplifier to speakers and a record deck, the speakers emitted this low humming sound, that got louser if i turned up the volume. what could be causing this to happen? also anywhere that i could find info on how to fix it?
mgelectronics

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you hooked up a Turntable (Phonograph), it could be a magnetic type cartridge in it, in which case you have to connect a ground wire between the chassis of the Phono and the Amplifier. On the other hand, unplug all of the input cables. If the hum disappears, plug one device at a time until the hum reappears. That cable could have an open shield (Measure continuity from each end. On the other hand, if all cables ar out and you still have a hum, suspect filter capacitor in the power supply.

Hope this helps.

Gordon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2005 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sHep here.
i need some clarification with terminology.

-''connect a ground wire between the chassis of the Phono and the amp''
earth them to each other, or individually?

-''That cable could have an open shield (Measure continuity from each end''
i dont know what that means.

-''suspect filter capacitor in the power supply''
how would i fix that?

much appreciated.
absorbentgnome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With record decks, you have to connect a separate chassis ground wire between the record deck and the amplifier. This should remove the hum you are experiencing. The signal ground on the phono connectors is NOT the chassis ground on record decks.
You should find a small thumbwheel labelled GND on both the amp and the record deck. Connect these.
absorbentgnome

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies mgelectonics! I had not read your entire post!
No need for the same information to be repeated!
sHep

PostPosted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah! thanks, that seems to have made all the difference. The humming stopped once i connected the earth.s.
now all i need is a head cartridge that fits the damn record deck... Rolling Eyes

thanks again!
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия