electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Is it possible to change a solid tantalum capacitor by anoth

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beat-x

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 6:36 am    Post subject: Is it possible to change a solid tantalum capacitor by anoth Reply with quote

Is it possible to change a solid tantalum capacitor by another of aluminum?

I have a synthesizer Ensoniq with a condenser damaged. That electrolytic is solid capacitor (condenser tantalum axial) with polarity, 22uF and 15 volts, the company AVX.
The description of the condenser is: ART R 226 M 015. The size of the housing component and the color gold, indicates a condenser 22uF (W model of 10.4 mm long and 4.3 mm in diameter).
Have one centimetre long and four millimetres in diameter without colors (everything he is yellow).

The problem is that I do not see a store of electronic components that do sell of tantalum.
Is it possible to change the failed component (the electrolytic capacitor solid tantalum axial) by another type of electrolytic capacitor, without the device --an electronic keyboard-- or suffer from deteriorating by this change?

I will be very grateful who can find out about this issue, because in establishments consulted nor know what to say.

Thank you for your attention.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out why the manufacturer has chosen to use an expensive solid tantalum capacitor in that position (maybe it is due to a high ripple current or a requirement on extremely low ESR). Compare the ESR values from AVX's datasheet for the original capacitor with values from the datasheet of possible replacement capacitors.
One possibility might be to replace it by two or three high capacitance ceramic capacitors, today those are available up to at least 10 uF 16V in 1206 size.
However, it should not be a problem to buy solid tantalum capacitors from any of the large catalog distributors. For example, Farnellinone, RS Components or Elfa.
vtech

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Based on the value posted, you could probably use another type with the same value & not notice any difference.--hard to tell as you can always go back & change it. I have had similar situations in the past & did not have a problem.
In my experience, major benefit for using tantalum in musical instruments are the ability to provide higher capacitance at smaller sizes, more efficiency & not wearing out like an electolytic.
Brat-x

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for your help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия