electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
DVD tray not working
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larbo

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: DVD tray not working Reply with quote

My son has a Toshiba TV with an integrated DVD player. The tray will no longer open (with a DVD stuck in it) and if he hits PLAY pr TV/DVD, the picture is garbled, kind of bent and rolling vertically in multiple bars.

So, I opened up the TV hoping to find something obvious like something stuck or broken in it. No such luck. He is what I did find...

1. When you press Open/Close, the TV powers up the DVD spindle operates (searching for a disc?) but no tray activity at all.
2. When you manualy open the tray with the exposed gear and the power is on, nothing happens at all. Tray moves freely.
3. If you power up with the tray open via #2 above, the tray closes
automatically. No response after that.
4. I jiggled all of the related connectors to the DVD player (just in case)
which is made by Orion BTW.

Does anyone have any pointers besides that of a good TV repair shop?

Thanks, Lar
vtech

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the one I'm thinkin of.....That Orion design was probably the cheapest load of crap I've ever had to deal with. Instead of having seperate motors, it used ONE friggin toy motor to load the tray, spin the disc & drive the laser mechanism by means of plastic gearing. (whoever came up with that design shoulda been shot) Rolling Eyes

There was a bulletin put out by Tosh(w/pix) which may help in checking the mechanism but it would be a matter of time before they all failed with no seperate parts availability(part of the course). Any needed part, had to replace the entire mech

Can't say for sure if it's alignment issue but you may have syscon problem & don't be suprised if it's not worth it (the typical nowadays)
anyways..here's the bulletin if it helps any
http://www.mediafire.com/?z2v2jlmtmc1

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks vtech. This mechanism appears to be pretty different. The tray motor does appear to be dedicated with a single belt to a drive gear that shows in the front of the mechanism for manual tray operation.

Is the the fact that the Toshiba DVD screen is broken up like that at idle say much??
vtech

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, must be a differnt one & yes, if the DVD screen is broken up, there is definately an electronic problem. Could be anything from a bad memory or a signal process issue within the signal board. Remote possibility of a bad connection (unlikely).

If accessable, try pressing against the DVD signal board--any change in the broken DVD screen? if so, you proly have a connection issue somewnere on the signal board.

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whats the model #?

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model MD20F12
minnie

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure it's not MW20F12?

http://www.partstore.com/PartSearch.aspx?PartNumber=72783201&x=16&y=12
Larbo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Model MD20F12, verified.

However, you got me to thinking about parts and I found on the Vance Baldwin site the model and part!! Bass-ackwards, the part (72783471) can also be found on Parts Depot, too. Since it is about $40 vs $58 on your part, it must be an even cheaper DVD assy. It might be worth the investment... but, do we know that the problem at hand in definately in the DVD assy?
Larbo

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also wanted to ask....

If I did buy the new DVD assy, does it just "go in" or will I need a scope or something to make adjustments?

Thx, Lar
vtech

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 5:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(72783471 is the correct number for mechanism--only)
wait a sec;

Most manufacturers sell their DVD mechs complete(mechanism & all electronics) & if that was the case with Toshiba, I'd say to change it & be done with it.
However, unless it has been changed, Toshiba never did so & you had to order them seperate which brings me to the next point:
While you may infact have a problem with the mechanism but I thought you mentioned that the DVD menu was broken/pixlated/distorted sitting at idle right? That is usually a dead giveaway indicating a signal process issue which locks up the whole process--perhaps I misunderstood?
I can assure you that NOTHING mechanical or in the mechanism could possibly cause a "broken menu" syndrom on the screen. So If that is the case, replacing the mechanism is not gonna do it.

Btw, replacing either mech or it's signal board won't usually require any adjustments
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия