electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Viewsonic Pwr Supplies-3F01 vs. 3F02

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 3:32 am    Post subject: Viewsonic Pwr Supplies-3F01 vs. 3F02 Reply with quote

Today I received a new replacement PS for my Viewsonic N3235 and ran into a problem I don't see covered anywhere on the forum.

The old PS is a FSP212-3F01 and it has a CNS1 male 12 pin connector. Looking towards the edge of the PS where CNS1 is, the connector locking clips are on the inside edge of the plug with the #1 next to the left side.

On the new 3F02 PS (I understand this to be a valid replacement for 3F01 since the 01's are not being made anymore?), the CNS1 plug is moved just around the corner on the board and is also a 12 pin male connector. However, this connector is turned 180 degrees so that the locking clips are on the outside edge of the board and the #1 is on the right side.

Also, the new PS came with a 6" cable with a female connector plugged into CNS1 that has the white wire plugged into #1 with the other 11 wires in 2-12 and an exact duplicate female connector on the other end. I don't know what this cable is used for, but I see no purpose for it in this TV.

My question is this: Should I remove the 6" cable and simply plug the TV connector into CNS1? Or, are the pin assignments on the 3F02 reversed (so that what was on pin #1 is on pin #12, etc.? (I looked for a pinout diagram for the 3F01, but did not find one.)

Thanks...and sorry if this is a dumb question...I have 2 Viewsonics and they have not been fun; smoke would be even less fun!

Gerald
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really irks me when somebody says they've searched but can't find.Rolling Eyes
Putting power supply part number in the search box above gives 3 results for the '02' and 12 results for the '01.'
Just doing a rudimentary page by page ctrl 'F' search for the '01' in the largest thread alone (http://forum.eserviceinfo.com/viewtopic.php?t=29325&highlight=fsp2123f02) brings up relevant results about connector/pin wiring on page #6 & page #15. I stopped there as you should now get my point.
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jts1957, I did spend several hours trying to do various searches to resolve my problem. I read every post on the 'viewsonic 32in lcd tv power supply broken' thread (among others). As you know, that thread is mostly oriented around repair at the component level. My problem had to do with the subtleties of replacing the whole PS and the references I found showed that a) there was probably a way to use a 3F02 in place of a 3F01 and b) there are cabling differences involving both the pinout assignments and connector/cable usage. I saw no pinout info that compared my 3F01 to a 3f02 used on a N3235 TV.

The net was that I did not find enough information to assure me that simply plugging my existing TV connector into the "reversed" CNS1 connector on the 3F02 PS would be OK.

I also thought it might be a good idea to start a new thread that would provide an opportunity for people to talk about problems found when substituting whole power supplies vs. changing components. I know my last go-around with replacing a Viewsonic PS was also a problem since the new PS had a soldered-on cable at CNS1 where my old one had just a plug. It ended up that I had to use (12) 1/2" pieces of paper clips to mate two female connectors together in order to use the new PS.

So, I'm sorry I disappointed you, but I hope someone will confirm that I can just plug into the 3F02 with the TV cable that used to plug into the 3F01?

Gerald
jts1957

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

page #6 & page #15
OldIBMer

PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, got a chance to work on this again tonight. Just plugging my TV cable into the CNS1 connector of the 3F02 PS was the thing to do.

My confusion on this had to do with information (from several sources) that referred to a "pinout change" on the 3F02. My view of a pinout change is that the actual pin assignments are altered; not just that the whole connector is re-oriented. But when I realized that the 6" adapter cable that came plugged into the CNS1 male socket was just passing the signals to a female connector on the other end from pin 1 to pin 1, pin 2 to pin 2, etc., I knew the pin assignments were not changed.

If not for the fact that my other Viewsonic had a PS failure and the replacement came with a cable soldered to CNS1, I would not have figured out what the "adapter cable" that came with the 3F02 was for. (Keep in mind that neither of my Viewsonics came with a cable soldered to the CNS1 connector.) Once I realized the adapter cable was to accomodate the 3F01 power supplies that have a soldered cable, I knew that the pin assignments must be the same for both 3F01 and 3F02.

So, the TV is back in service and even has a better picture than it has had for some time. There were three or four quite noticeable fixed, vertical lines in the middle of the screen and they have now almost completely disappeared. That was a result I did not expect. Also, for months now the picture would sometimes break up and it could be "fixed" by banging on the side of the TV. So far, that problem is also gone.

Gerald
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия