electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Laptop Battery doesn't charge fully?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
owennguyen

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2015 4:02 pm    Post subject: Laptop Battery doesn't charge fully? Reply with quote

Hi guys, I have a laptop, Dell Latitude E5420. Recently, my laptop battery doesn't charge past 33%. When it charge to 33%, it notify "plugged, not charged". What is problem ? It comes from laptop hardware, adapter or battery ? Thanks.
torbjorn

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2015 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the battery have a LED bar and test button? If so, what charge level does it show?

Is it any difference whether you look at the charge status with the operating system (probably Windows) running or if you look at it in the BIOS setup?

Check if there are any BIOS or driver updates available for that computer, that adresses battery charging issues. Usually, you will have to search and download the update file and then look in an attached text file to see exactly which issues are fixed.

If you run the computer on battery, do you get the expected run time for 33 % charge?

Is it any difference whether you have the laptop switched on or not while charging?

Does the laptop run well on your mains adapter without battery?

I think you should suspect the battery if any of the following is true:
-Battery is more than two years old.
-Aftermarket battery from unknown or suspect manufacturer.
-Battery looks swollen.
-You know that the battery has been misused at any time (for instance, have been left discharged for a long time, subjected to strong heat, tried to charge or use the battery at extreme cold).

If you have access to another similar laptop, try to swap the batteries between them and see if the problem follows the battery or the laptop.
owennguyen

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2015 5:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank torbjorn.
Based on your idea, I borrowed my friend's laptop and swap the batteries between them. The problem did not happen. I bought new battery Sad , and it works well now.

PS: I unpacked my old battery and tested it. My lapttop battery has 9 cells. After checking, I explored that there are 2 cells was dead
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия