electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Old monitor turns itself off even when disconected - help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
midix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Old monitor turns itself off even when disconected - help! Reply with quote

I have an old EIZO 14'' FLEXSCAN 9060S monitor and I need it to be working at least for a month. At first it worked fine although was second hand already. But then it started switching itself off after 10 minutes or so. I decided that I have nothing to lose and started adjusting SUB H. SIZE inside of it (because I noticed that the iamge on the screen has black sides, it is not wide enough). And after that it worked fine for 2 months. Then I bought a new one and put my EIZO away in a bit cool place (but not wet). After 2 years I need it again but now it turns itself off after 4 seconds or so no matter if I connect VGA to PC or no. With SUB H. SIZE I can only change the time to 3-5 seconds and nothing else. Other regulators do not help. What could have gone wrong, any ideas?
It turns completely off, the screen goes black and power led turns off and this little noise inside of it (you now, all CRTs have that noise) turns off too. When I disconnect it from the power and count to at least 5 then turn on, it works again for 4 seconds.
I have an experience with repairing radios and cassette recorders but I am a bit afraid of monitors (because of a high voltage) although I could replace any component if only I knew which one is faulty.
Thanks (at least for reading this nightmare).

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like it could be a capacitor related problem. Do you have an ESR meter to test them with?
midix

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I don't have it. But thanks for the idea. I once had a PC motherboard which has strange behaviour but that was simple - I saw the faulty capacitor, it was blown up. And after replacing everything was OK.
Maybe the electrolyte in some capacitors have gone wrong while the monitor was in coldness...
Is there any other way to check capacitors without ER meter or to find the faulty ones? And where they could be located? I cannot find EIZO schematic diagram.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not easy. A capacitor usually makes your meter needle move up, then slowly down as it charges on the ohms scale. A shorted capacitor may read low ohms and an open capacitor may not read much.
Very gently move each capacitor sideways, it should be firm with 2 legs, very occasionally you will find one of the legs not connected even though the meter said it was connected.
If you suspect a capacitor, solder another of equal or greater voltage across it and try it again.
It could be shutting down due to excessive voltage or any number of things. What happens when you heat it up with a hair drier or put it near a heater?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия