electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Sony KV-36 Television showing bright green screen

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aeromys

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:34 pm    Post subject: Sony KV-36 Television showing bright green screen Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 5 year old Sony KV-36FS70K which has just developed an odd fault.

On switching on, the entire screen is a uniform bright green, with a constant flicker every four seconds. It's not a green tint, with picture visible underneath, but a solid block green. Audio for the chosen channel is unaffected and clear, and the flicker makes no sound either.

This happens on all inputs, from all sources both front and back of the TV.

However... if I go to the PAP (Picture and Picture) mode, which divides the screen into two halves for two channel watching, the left side screen remains this constant green, while the right side screen displays a perfect colour picture !!??? Also, if I go into the multi PIP mode with the 12 little pictures around a central main one, the 12 little still pictures are perfect / normal colour, while the main one in the middle is the bright green. In both cases, the entire main screen still has the constant flicker.

As the screen is still able to display secondary images in colour, I'm guessing (hoping ! ) that the tube is still ok, and that this is some sort of settings glitch. Somehow, the primary image channel is corrupted into a plain bright green, but secondary picture in picture channels aren't. Teletext is fine and in colour also, providing I use it in full screen dedicated mode, if I choose to have it as text over the picture, it's bright green screen time again.

Family have been interrogated and tortured and say they haven't altered anything, and quite frankly I don't think there's any settings within the remote that can cause this. I've tried a power off re-set, and checked all the standard user settings on the user level menus. I'm not averse to going into the engineer menu, I had to do that when I first got it to set up the NTSC scart mode, but have not been in there since for 5 years and it's run faultlessly until today.

Any bodies got any ideas?

Cheers,
Dave
gary

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is a known fault on these sets, resolder ic701 on b3 pcb, do not attempt unless you are comfortable working with surface mount components and lead free solder.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Gary, sounds a bit scary, I might have to pay the Sony man Sad
aeromys

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, bit the bullet and went in there. Found B3 PCB eventually (hidden under a cage), took it out and found IC701 - a massive chip which has like 200 microscopic connections Shocked
Seriously out of my depth, so put it all back together and hoped that disturbing the dust may have fixed something.
Alas no, still performing exactly the same Sad

Is this within the scope of any TV repair guy, or should I only call the Sony shop? I guess it might be cheaper to go along to the Sony shop with B3 and ask for a repair, as shifting 100kg of TV about is a real pain.

I don't want to give up on this old brute, it's my yard of tele Smile

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

replace the chroma ic

PostPosted: Sun Mar 19, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
replace the chroma ic

Is that the same IC as above? (IC701)
aeromys

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anonymous wrote:
replace the chroma ic

Also - if the chroma chip was at fault, wouldn't the display be faulty all the time? When in PIP mode, half the screen (the PIP part) is perfect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия