electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
6-year old Sony rear projection tv model( kp-53s75)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rburns

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:12 am    Post subject: 6-year old Sony rear projection tv model( kp-53s75) Reply with quote

Currently my Sony 53" tv has suddenly lost its picture quality. The colors are not converging together. It looks like any letters shown are doubling, white in foreground and red or blue to the left or background. This tv has had a perfect picture always, just changed in a second. Tried flash focus but didn't help at all. If anyone has a answer or can help with some information, I would greatly appreciate it. Thanks again, R.Burns
evbrown

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been waiting for the professionals to post a reply. But until then, perhaps you can benefit from my experience.

We have a similar situation. I also have a six year old Sony projection TV (KP43t75). It developed a problem with alignment of the blue gun. Initially I thought the problem was with the gun. However, with help from advice here I was advised it was the convergence STK's.

My situation was that a professional service call might have been $300-500. Did I really want to put that kind of money into a six year old set. Faced with that choice, I thought, what do I have to lose by trying to do the work myself.

You should not attempt to begin without the service manual. Coincidentally, your model uses the same manual as mine does. I found it online here: https://www.vancebaldwin.com/shop/research_new/son/KP43T75.pdf If for some reason you can't get it, post your email address and I will email you the pdf file.

I was advised that sometimes it is just solder joints that need to be resoldered. That did not work for me. Believe it or not one of the hardest things was finding all 8 screws to remove before I could lift out my circuit board. Pay careful attention to the location of all the connectors when you unhook them, because you will need to remember where they all hook up.

I was able to find the two STK's I needed locally. After tax, my cost was $28.14. It is a bit of a challenge to heat up the 18 solder joints and remove the old STK. At first I just replaced one, and it seemed to fix the problem. However, I was advised it is best to replace both, which I did.

Your final challenge is to reallign the convergence patterns. This is not easy and I can see why it costs. I am guessing it took me 4-5 hours to teach myself how to get it right. Here is a link to a guide: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/sonyadj.html Use it as well as the instructions contained in the pdf service manual. You need to be very careful when getting into the service mode. It is very easy to press the wrong button. You are trying to change to a different screen and instead you press a button that changes a value. When you are on a screen, it is a good idea to mentally note the value in the upper right hand corner. That way if you press the wrong button, you can put the function back to the original setting.

Here is the essence of what I did. Via the VPNT service menu you are going to turn off the red and blue guns via VPNT 28 (RON) & 30 (BON). 1 is on, 0 is off. Then via the PJE screen you are going to make changes to CENT, SIZE, SKEW, LIN, KEY, and PIN as needed. All of these are to make the lines parallel and centered properly. At first you are only aligning the green gun. Once you have that, you are going back to the VPNT menu to turn on the red gun. Back to the PJE menu to play with centering etc. Tip: Make sure when you are in the PJE menu you switch the color select (via the 3 button on the remote) from green to red. Otherwise the changes you play with are not moving the gun you think you are. Once you line up the parallel lines, switch from the cross hatch pattern to the dots (via button 6). This will allow you to make fine tune adjustments (turned on via button 9 and controlled via the up, down, right, left buttons). You need to line up each red dot with the yellow dot. If you don't, you will get a blurry image.

Once you have finished aligning the red gun, back to VPNT to turn on the blue gun, and back to PJE to repeat the process of adjustment. Remember to press the 3 button to select the blue gun that will receive your adjustments.

Now I have my TV back in shape and hopefully it will be another 5 years before I will have to buy a new set. Let us know here how things work out for you.
dknight

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Would like a copy of the service manual if you still have it Reply with quote

Hey I know this is an old post but I am trying to find the service manual for my KP43T75 and the link is of course dead. If you still have a copy of it by chance I would be very grateful.
Thanks
Dean
Justmanuals

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This Parts & Service manual can now be purchased for $9.99 and downloaded immediately after payment from http://www.justmanuals.com

[email protected]

Need a manual now? Instant Download
http://www.justmanuals.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия