electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
acer aspire 1603LC boot problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ruben_gf

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 12:32 am    Post subject: acer aspire 1603LC boot problem Reply with quote

My laptop (aspire 1603, 512 Mb RAM, 40 Gb HDD, ATI mobility 64 Mb) shutted down suddenly due to empty battery.

After a few hours, I plugged it and noticed that the system hangs up during POST operations. It detects CPU type (pentium IV, 2,60), RAM checks OK (512 extended), and then hangs up. CPU Fan works ok, and optical drive too. No beeps.

Screen displays "Press F2 to enter setup" message. When F2 is pressed, nothing happens, just "entering Setup..." message instead, but the computer is still hung up.

I use a password for both boot and bios entrance, but the system doesn`t even ask for it. It hangs up before that part of the POST operations.

This means of course, I haven`t any way of accesing BIOS.

I`m asking for help:

Could it be due to a faulty HDD?
It`s most likely a corrupted BIOS error?
Anyone experienced this before?

Confused THANKS!
ruben_gf

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: problem solved! Reply with quote

A friend of mine borrowed me a HDD. After mounting it, I noticed the problem couldnt be a faulty HDD, cos the computer hung up exactly the same with the borrowed HDD. What`s more, my HDD mounted on his laptop worked perfectly!

so... it must be a corrupted BIOS. How could I blank my BIOS without having access to the setup program, nor OS.... !!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only one way... turning battery power completely OFF.
I found instructions on how to disassemble Aspire 1600 here

http://belial.altervista.org/linuz/index.php?showdetails=clean

be careful when opening your laptop case, in some cases something really useful could get hurt...

I found BIOS capacitor (a blue battery, similar to watch battery, near the battery case), unplugged it from the motherboard, and waited 15 minutes...

after that, the computer booted perfectly. To my surprise Surprised , bios and boot passwords were still there, though real time clock was reset to dec 2002...

I hope this to be useful to any frustrated user!!!!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Computer and office equipment repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия