electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
Heat Transfer Compound

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:37 am    Post subject: Heat Transfer Compound Reply with quote

It seem there are many different heatsink compounds on the market, silicon, zinc, hardsetting etc. None of these seem to have a thermal transfer co-efficient on the tube.
Which is the best compound to use for a NEC FS- series television, verticle output IC? It took a tyre lever to remove the old IC from the heatsink.

Thanks.
Atom

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't really matter, but I would suggest not using a hard setting heat sink compound for any unit that isn't going to be severely shaken quite regularly.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thankyou,
It says that the hard setting compound (as used in monitors and such) increases the thermal conductivity to the max.
We use the zinc compound extensively in industry.
My guess it that the silicon compound is used where the device is insulated from the heatsink.

I cannot find any thermal conductivity figures on any of these compounds.

Merry Christmas all:)
Atom

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2004 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vertical output IC's should never be designed so critically that the heat sink compound is a factor at all in why it may fail prematurely. That's just plain criminal. There is plenty of room in a TV or Monitor to incorporate one that would last indefinitely, and without any heat sink compound at all. But if this is the case, then I feel damn sorry for this advanced society of ours.

I've used plenty of both silicone and zinc, but the only reason I preferred zinc is because of it's tacky consistency, I never even bothered about knowing what the conductivity was... and didn't care, I've always figured it was just common sense that it shouldn't really matter, and to my knowledge, it never did. I quit repairing about 5 years ago after 19 years of 8 to 5, 5 days a week. I've never had a callback where I actually suspected the brand or type of heat sink compound to be the cause, or reason for return to the shop at all. I would much sooner blame the IC design, and in fact always did and nothing else, unless of course it was an external problem that was the cause.

It's like..

..well, you need to use the proper heat sink compound ...

um, excuse me.... no ............... YOU need to design a friggin Vert IC PROPERLY!

Razz

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply, I will use the compound I have:)

Happy New Year and may the new year bring you much happiness and laughter!

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
Atom

PostPosted: Fri Dec 31, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And a Happy New Year to you .. Very Happy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Electronics General All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия