electronics, repairs, service manuals and datasheets discussion community for the repairs professionals and technicians
FAQSearchMembersGroupsRegisterProfilePM'sLogin/Out
DVD Motor not consistently spinning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bjp_ne_elec

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: DVD Motor not consistently spinning Reply with quote

Have an Emerson DVD/Tape Player, and the DVD drive does not spin up all the time. First I thought the issue was the laser needing cleaning, but I did that, and still had the issue. I took off the cover, and discovered the DVD was not spinning. A slight tap, and the disk would spin up, although it does start up slowly sometimes. Once it spins up, things seem to go pretty well - but it's not consistently spinning up, and sometimes has to be coaxed. Is this a sign it needs some sort of lubriaction, a cleaning (not sure how to even go about this), or does it need a little of both (cleaning and lubrication). If someone comes back and says it's lubrication, can you please let me know what to use. Then also, if it needs cleaning, could you let me know what to clean and with what solution.

Thanks

Dave
vtech

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than likely spindle motor is on it's way out. Unfortunately almost all of these units use the very cheap brush type motors made by Mabuchi or Mitsumi that are destined to fail after certain amount of use. You may be able to buy some time by cleaning &/or lubricating. There is no easy way to dismantle them w/out damaging it. Some may have opening slots on the bottom plate. If you can find some sort of a non-residue cleaner spray, you can try to clean out the internal brushes----remember it MUST not leave any kind of oils on the brushes inside.
On some of them there may be a tiny round hole on the same bottom brush plate(close to the open slots) which can be utilized to apply a very tiny drop of lubricating oil which sorta gets sucked in the bottom bearing as it begins to spin---& if no tiny hole 4get oiling.

Either way, it's only buying time till full failure.
bjp_ne_elec

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vtech - thanks for the response. Does it make sense to replace the motor? This is a DVD/VCR unit and the DVD is what I typically use the most - but I do have a VHS tape that I'll want to view from time to time. Is there a on-line site you'd recommend to purchase the motor, assuming you recommend even messing with it. Then another question I have, is how do I nail down the replacement part number? Is there most likely a number on the motor?

THanks

Brett
vtech

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brett,

Unless you've done this before, it is definitley not worth the hassle. Replacing the motor itself is not that big a deal---the table plate height where the disc sits on is very critical. That is why the manufacturer does not sell it as a seperate item. Almost always you'd have to remove the plate in order to remove the motor & it's easily damaged. & yes you could proly see a part number on the motor, but adding the cost/shping/installation etc---just not worth messing with

Personally I've done it many times & may still occasioanlly do it --being in business. But in general it's too much trouble for the average person..
bjp_ne_elec

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vtech - again thanks for your feedback. What does it cost to get this type of service - and I'm just looking for a ballpark. I guess they are almost pricing these DVD players as throw aways - and I guess the old addage holds - "ya get what ya pay for".

THanks

Brett
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Electronic equipment repair and service manual search discussion Forum Index -> Equipment Repairs All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum

eServiceInfo on FB - Service Manuals Free Download - Service Diagrams

Free TV Schematics Download - HARDW.net - Pinout Master - Jabse Service Manual Search - Jabse.InK  - onTap.bg

SnimkiOt.com - Poblizo.com : пътешествия